Study abroad pre req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docdiver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input here. I am currently taking an equivalent of general physics 1 (of my school's 3 quarter general physics sequence) abroad. It will show up on my transcript as equivalent to my school's general physics 1 class (I got it pre approved) and I will have general physics 2 and 3 completed at my US institution on my transcript. I didn't even think about the fact that medical schools are finicky about prerequisites being completed overseas. However, since I'm being given equivalent credit and it will show that I've successfully completed the rest of the sequence in the US (demonstrating that I had a solid understanding of physics 1 by default), do you think I'll have a hard time getting med schools to see my prerequisites as complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Safest thing to do will be to take another physics class at your US institution (the requirement isn't general physics, it's one year of college physics, so you can combine your general phys 2 and 3 with a subsequent upper level semester to have a year.)

I should add that a lot of places want to see the required year of each science include lab, so a 200 or 300 level lab based physics class is the best move

Reactions: 1 user
Completelyyyyyy anecdotal:

I don't think it will be hard to get med schools to see your pre reqs as complete. I know several people that took that exact course(s) abroad in England and got into medical school. It seems like the trendy thing to do at UCLA/UCBerkeley. The students are told that it's frowned upon, but allowed.

With that said, I'd probably take Elfe's advice.