Study abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpsheeha

IRISH
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year medical student and I would like to travel to Ireland for a month next year during my vacation. I was curious if anyone knew how I could find out if there are any programs that I could participate in over there?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you mean by 'participate'? I mean, what school do you attend? Are you wanting to just basically observe in a hospital? Or in a specific area? You are pretty vague about what you'd like to do. I am a medical student of the American University of the Caribbean in Sint Maarten, currently doing 3rd year clinicals in Ireland, as part of our official clinical agreement with Waterford Regional Hospital.

However, just coming in informally and observing for a month might be a bit tricky with issues like patient confidentiality, insurance, etc. If you were more clear about what you are looking for, maybe we would know how to help.

Good luck!

Hey

Are you familiar with the exchange programmes through IFMSA? They consist of 4 weeks pre-clinical or clinical clerkship in about 87 different countries around the world, incl. Ireland. Check out www.ifmsa.org or ask your NEO at IFMSA-USA to see if your country has any agreements (from what I hear the US isn't very active). If they have it's probably too late to apply since the national groups met last month to exchange applications, but you might still have a shot at a research exchange. Or try again next year. Good luck!