Study Books for Surgery Shelf (Updated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daenschl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I wanted to ask about study books for the surgery shelf.

I know the gold standard is Pestana + UWorld (+NMS Casebook). I saw 1-2 threads in 2015 that talked about the DeVirgilio book and how it is apparently the new best go-to book. However, the book was brand new in 2015 and I haven't really heard anything about it since.

Are there any updated thoughts on the DeVirgilio book? Or is Pestana + Uworld +NMS still the only way to go?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I wanted to ask about study books for the surgery shelf.

I know the gold standard is Pestana + UWorld (+NMS Casebook). I saw 1-2 threads in 2015 that talked about the DeVirgilio book and how it is apparently the new best go-to book. However, the book was brand new in 2015 and I haven't really heard anything about it since.

Are there any updated thoughts on the DeVirgilio book? Or is Pestana + Uworld +NMS still the only way to go?

Thanks!

You're posting in the wrong forum. This should go in rotations where you'll find the official surgery shelf discussion thread. Devirgilio is very good because it takes you through a very diverse set of presentations that will show up on a NBME surgery/medicine style shelf. You don't need NMS in my opinion.