• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Study Books for Surgery Shelf (Updated)

daenschl

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Hey all!

I wanted to ask about study books for the surgery shelf.

I know the gold standard is Pestana + UWorld (+NMS Casebook). I saw 1-2 threads in 2015 that talked about the DeVirgilio book and how it is apparently the new best go-to book. However, the book was brand new in 2015 and I haven't really heard anything about it since.

Are there any updated thoughts on the DeVirgilio book? Or is Pestana + Uworld +NMS still the only way to go?

Thanks!

Redpancreas

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey all!

I wanted to ask about study books for the surgery shelf.

I know the gold standard is Pestana + UWorld (+NMS Casebook). I saw 1-2 threads in 2015 that talked about the DeVirgilio book and how it is apparently the new best go-to book. However, the book was brand new in 2015 and I haven't really heard anything about it since.

Are there any updated thoughts on the DeVirgilio book? Or is Pestana + Uworld +NMS still the only way to go?

Thanks!

You're posting in the wrong forum. This should go in rotations where you'll find the official surgery shelf discussion thread. Devirgilio is very good because it takes you through a very diverse set of presentations that will show up on a NBME surgery/medicine style shelf. You don't need NMS in my opinion.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.