Study-enhancing drugs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yodudedudeyo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a couple threads about this, but I mainly want to focus on Adderal. I've currently got three semesters under my belt, and I've only taken aderall twice (im on the second one right now). I know some of you will look down on me for doing such a thing, and I used to look down upon my fellow undergrads for doing the same thing.

The competitiveness of college finally got to me, and I had to try it. My friends who were taking it (illegally) were getting good scores, and being a pre-med, I NEEDED top scores. Now I've done a bit of research on the internet, but all that is very biased, much like how they say marijuana is horrible, etc (come on now, I don't smoke but I know that marijuana isn't that bad for you).

So I guess what I'm asking for thoughts and experiences from fellow pre-medders about taking aderall/ritalin. My friends dad is a psychiatrist and he said popping one every now and then won't be detrimental to your health, but I'm getting worried because I feel like I'm starting to get mentally addicted to. I'm starting to feel like I need it in order to do well (because it does work!). The high level of competition/stress/pressure has made me crumble, what about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Ground rules:
1) Do not discuss illegal ways of getting this drug (including, but not limited to...Mexico, faking a diagnosis, theft, etc...)
2) Do not ask for, or give, medical advice of any sort. Anything that could be construed as medical advice (ie...discussion of optimum dosage, personal experiences with the drug, etc...) should be avoided.
3) When in doubt, stick to opinions and stick to the prompt!
**4) It should be okay to quote information that is publicly or widely available online (ie. manufacturer website, WebMD, etc...), just remember rule #2.
These threads get closed down all the time, so please be cautious of the rules.

I've never taken it before, but I see it as a slippery slope that can't end anywhere good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some peeps who use study enhancers and seem to be ok and I know some who took them in undergrad and had some serious health issues and formed addictions where they had to constantly escalate the dosage to get the same effect. The latter always seemed like too big a risk for me.

The way I looked at it as an undergrad was if I need speed to keep up with my coursework in undergrad, what was I going to do when the pace accelerates exponentially in medschool, or when I'm expected to study for shelf exams in addition to being on the wards for 80 hours per week? If you are struggling to keep up right now you either have time management issues or you might need to evaluate how you are studying. I and many others have competed and come out on top of that dreaded pre-med curve without the use of perscription stimulants so don't psyche yourself out and convince yourself that you need to have drugs to be competitive.

SDN is neither for medical advice, nor for encouragement of illegal activity.

Please consult your health care provider for answers to your medical questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.