Study Habits / Tips and Tricks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phantomx87

Wishing I was a bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know that there a lot of people out there that don't have the greatest study skills. Either you were the person that naturally got A's without even knowing the name of the professor teaching the class that you didn't know you registered for :rolleyes: , or you were the person that busted his/her a$$ only to get a B in a class... :mad:

That being said, would anyone like to share some study habits, tips, or tricks that they have picked up over the years that have helped to a) help focus instead of daydreaming, b) memorization, or c) some sort of alternative, yet equally effective, methods?

Let's hear what you've got... :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

take reading notes. they are painful and will cost you most of your weekends, but they almost certainly guarantee you success (in biological subjects)

Make a daily schedule, and STICK TO IT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be willing to change study techniques if you are not happy with the current results.

What I mean by that is that 24/7 study of the book will do you no good is the test is derived solely from the notes during lecture.

That's kind of the point of this thread... I was asking for people to give feedback on their own study habits and how it works for them in the hopes that students who need to change study habits can have some choices or ideas to consider.

Chalkboards/dry erase boards/whatever are really good for me (I plan on installing some in my apt next year). When I was in biochem, I'd write out the entire pathway 3 -5 times. Then I'd write out the intermediates from paper and quiz myself on the enzymes then reverse that until I could write the whole thing out from memory. Worked for me.

Great link Onc... There is some really good advice on there. It brings up one of my vices actually (and apparently most other people share the same vice) in distraction. I have a habit of being easily distracted in pretty much any environment I study in. It doesn't really matter if a person walks by or if I am trying to detect any abnormality in my normal pulse, I can't seem to get away from it!

Edit: No, I don't have ADD.

Edit edit: This really only happens with subjects that aren't humanities or aren't directly related to medicine (read PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY), at least in a short-sighted sense.

Here's what's helped me go from a mediocre undergrad career to aceing post-bac classes:

1) Really listening in class instead of zoning out/hoping the tape recorder will catch the lecture. If you learn it the first time, it shouldn't be too hard to remember on the test.

2) Planning realistically what to accomplish each day and writing it out in a to-do list. I prioritize what really needs to get done and put those items first.

3) Striving to do the assigned reading BEFORE the lecture and trying to review/outline notes afterwards (I aim for doing it within a week).

4) Not overloading my schedule with activities.

5) Study buddies can be helpful, but make sure you pick someone of equal ability as you. If you've been attending lecture regularly and this person hasn't cracked a book, your study session might turn out to be a waste of time.

6) Maintaining a healthy lifestyle--trying getting a reasonable amount of sleep, eating in a healthy manner (including having regular breakfast), exercising regularly, and making sure I talk to loved ones/friends/family when I feel stressed.

This was my routine in UG:

Attend every class and take detailed notes.
Night after test make flash cards for all the lectures from the day.
Do practice problems over the weekend for math/science courses.
Study flash cards for exam, talk to myself while writing stuff out if it doesn't stick.

my biggest help: study next to a friend, but don't study WITH them. it helps to sit next to a friend who is also studying, but not the same subject as you. this way, you'll feel comfortable and less easily distracted. :)

for me it really depends on the class. for a class like physics or math or genchem, I usually just learn it all last minute because all the concepts are so interrelated that learning them all at the same time (or in a small time frame) really helps me get the big picture.
for classes like orgo or biology, I read the chapters/take chapter notes every weekend and then start cramming a week before the exam.
it's worked pretty well for me (i doubt this will cut it later on in biochem and upper div neuroscience)

my biggest help: study next to a friend, but don't study WITH them. it helps to sit next to a friend who is also studying, but not the same subject as you. this way, you'll feel comfortable and less easily distracted. :)

I find this really helpful. Studying in my own room leaves to many distractions (Xbox, SDN, TV, phone, etc.). I hate going to the library cause all I do is watch people as they walk by. I just go to a friend's room while they're studying and study in there. I don't bother him.. he doesn't bother me. No distractions.