Study help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConceptUser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
***sorry if I posted this in the wrong section***

So I have all my book (TBR and EK) I have a study plan (Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule by SN2ed). I started yesterday. My problem is that I can't seem to retain anything. I'm basically a zombie just flipping a book and saying "ohh." I get most of the questions wrong and I feel like I'm not learning the information correctly and I'm not thinking about the question in they way they want me to.

How are you guys studying? How do you think about each problem? After getting the question right what do you do to help you retain it? After getting a question wrong what do you do to help you learn/ memorize it better? When going through the chapter (before answering the questions) do you jot down notes? Do you make note cards? What are good videos to watch that help on the mcat (I watch crashcourse from youtube, khan academy and freelanceteacher)? What formulas/ conversions should I remember (probably all)? I can get my hand on any book so what are highly suggested books? Any other suggested study plan? What are some strategies that helps you? Any tips and tricks?

I know I asked a lot of question but right now I feel like I'm lost and overwhelmed. A little clarification and some guides would be GREAT! I keep browsing the forum on my free time to learn new information and so far I learned a lot but there is still a lot more to learn.

Members don't see this ad.

***sorry if I posted this in the wrong section***

So I have all my book (TBR and EK) I have a study plan (Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule by SN2ed). I started yesterday. My problem is that I can't seem to retain anything. I'm basically a zombie just flipping a book and saying "ohh." I get most of the questions wrong and I feel like I'm not learning the information correctly and I'm not thinking about the question in they way they want me to.

How are you guys studying? How do you think about each problem? After getting the question right what do you do to help you retain it? After getting a question wrong what do you do to help you learn/ memorize it better? When going through the chapter (before answering the questions) do you jot down notes? Do you make note cards? What are good videos to watch that help on the mcat (I watch crashcourse from youtube, khan academy and freelanceteacher)? What formulas/ conversions should I remember (probably all)? I can get my hand on any book so what are highly suggested books? Any other suggested study plan? What are some strategies that helps you? Any tips and tricks?

I know I asked a lot of question but right now I feel like I'm lost and overwhelmed. A little clarification and some guides would be GREAT! I keep browsing the forum on my free time to learn new information and so far I learned a lot but there is still a lot more to learn.

How do you study for your classes?

I learn by doing and drawing. I draw flow charts and webs and connect information. I'm not a flashcard guy. I'm not an audio osmosis guy.

Find what works or has worked for you and keep doing it.

Concept try this approach.

Prior to doing ANY chapter questions go through these steps

1) Pre-read the chapter - take 20-30 minutes to quickly read through the chapter. This allows you to see all of the content quickly and be able to see how the chapter sections relate to each other. After this take a 10-20 minute break.

2) Read the chapter for comprehension. Take your time and really understand what your reading. If you get confused on a topic DO NOT GO ON, look at other resources, watch videos, clarify before moving on. While reading make 2 sets of notes. The first is a brief summary of the *key* concepts, only the big things , put it in your own words, draw diagrams whatever you need to do. The second is making Qcards of things that absolutely must be memorized, key formulas, trends etc.. After this take a break

3) After your break spend the next hour focusing on just memorizing and recalling everything on your Q-cards. Once everything is mastered take a break.

4) Now that you have all the information that needs to be recalled memorized, spend the next block of time learning the material from your brief notes and reviewing the book. Attempt to be able to "teach" this information to someone else, talk out loud, explain all the rules and exceptions, relate trends to other things in real life. How could you explain mitosis to a grade 12 biology student so that they would know it for their exam? Once you are able to talk through the information take a break

5) Take the in book questions now. Do not look back, before taking this you should have memorized all the information needed from step 3. Take a break. Once you're done your break review all the questions, make sure you know what you got right and why you got it right, as well as what you got wrong. Anything you got wrong, go back into the chapter, reread the information and make a few more brief notes onto your page explaining that concept further.

From here on out at the beginning of every study period spend 30minutes reviewing previous subject/topic Notes/QCards to keep fresh on the information.

The goal of doing a study program this way is to prevent what you have happening, reading through some information and not having a mastery, or forgetting information a few days later, it happens to everyone.

This exam is similar to a cumulative exam of Chem1+2 Bio1+2 Orgo1+2, A&P1+2, Physics1+2. The only real way in my opinion to tackle it is that when you come across something that needs to be memorized is to memorize it now. Don't just make a note of it, don't try to memorize it later. Just get it out of the way. Also to have a mastery of the content, take your time, if there is something you don't understand 100% don't move on, figure it out. If you don't understand chapter 3 well now. You are not going to understand it 3 weeks from now after having studied 4 other books as well.