Study MCAT KHAN Academy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austin_piwi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Started the studying process for this damn test. I found the Kaplan courses on the AAMC website and just finished the Biomolecules review session. The videos are good in my opinion, but I've never taken the test, so Im not sure if they are covering exactly what I need. I purchased the Kaplan book series and it came in today, and while looking at it, I realized there is no way I can read every page of every book and go through every video on Kaplan in 3 months. So I am asking you guys, which would be a better way to study? Should I go through every video on Kaplan, take notes on the videos, and do practice tests, while using the books as help? Should I read the books as my main source, and just use Kaplan for the practice questions? Or should I just use one specifically? I mean being able to study by just buying a few practice tests and using the free Kaplan course would be the best scenario, but obviously I want the best score possible. Any Help? Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,
Started the studying process for this damn test. I found the Kaplan courses on the AAMC website and just finished the Biomolecules review session. The videos are good in my opinion, but I've never taken the test, so Im not sure if they are covering exactly what I need. I purchased the Kaplan book series and it came in today, and while looking at it, I realized there is no way I can read every page of every book and go through every video on Kaplan in 3 months. So I am asking you guys, which would be a better way to study? Should I go through every video on Kaplan, take notes on the videos, and do practice tests, while using the books as help? Should I read the books as my main source, and just use Kaplan for the practice questions? Or should I just use one specifically? I mean being able to study by just buying a few practice tests and using the free Kaplan course would be the best scenario, but obviously I want the best score possible. Any Help? Thanks everyone.
Are you meaning khan academy when you say Kaplan?

Sorry yes Found Khan academy for all the videos here, Messed that up
I'd suggest watching the videos at 1.5 or 2x normal speed. You can get through a lot of content and since you should already know most of the material fairly well from UG the fast pace shouldn't affect you. If there is a particular point you are having trouble with then rewind and watch at normal speed. Kaplan books have a lot of details that help explain concepts if you don't understand them, but this can slow you down when reading word for word. I found that studying for details is not helpful on the actual exam since they have many different ways of presenting the same concepts. The passages tend to provide you with enough information that having a general idea of the concepts tested will allow you to do well. Don't go into studying with the belief that you have to memorize everything because that will wear you down and you will end up not learning what you really need to. You could take a practice exam to see where you're at and identify where you're weak, which can help you with deciding what you need to focus on. However, the MCAT is very broad and focusing only on the content of one exam is not smart. If you think that you're not ready then postpone your exam to another date.