Study Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trance Radio for Pandora worked wonders :p

Members don't see this ad.

This is my latest jam:

The problem: it makes me want to do residency in Nashville. Probably not the best reason for selecting a residency site lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I concur... If you don't like classical music, you aren't listening to the right kind of classical!
I like classical, but I wouldn't study to it.
Also, thumbup on the Romantics, but Bach and Vivaldi? Nosireebob, no thank you. Perhaps it's because I played cello for too long and have a strong aversion to sucky bass lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who like classical, mozart has a ton of good stuff, bach is good but i like it for when I study math, physics or engineering.

OP, if you dislike classical, try something like "movie theme songs," especially ones you recognize.

Miles Davis (not Bitches Brew though that album might be rather distracting) or John Coltrane

Instrumental guitar rock!

Otis Redding, Pink Floyd, Muse

I listen to pretty much anything except country. My latest study music has consisted mostly of Between the Buried and Me, Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders, and Textures.

Am I the only one who needs loud music to study? That or white noise. I drove my roommate crazy even through my headphones.

My favorite all time study album. Just never gets old.

I can't listen to anything with lyrics when studying. Electronic music helps pump me up so I don't fall asleep studying.

For those that still enjoy classical, I really enjoy listening to Ludovico Einaudi while studying.

So I looked up Ludovico Einaudi. Thank you. He's brilliant!

I've been exposed to a LOT of classical music over the years as a trumpet player (so for anyone who does like classical, these are my recommendations). Let me say that some of the best music for studying has to be J.S. Bach. Try the Brandenburg concertos for starters. If you don't mind having lyrics Handel's Messiah is fantastic, Mozart's Requiem, Brahms' Requiem, maybe William Walton's Belshazzar's Feast.
For a great pump-up piece, the beginning of Beethoven's 9th symphony is incredible (I actually listened to this the morning of taking the MCAT :))

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't always listen to music when I study, but when I do I listen to John Mayer

I listen to podcasts. Music makes me lose my concentration.

Liquid dnb is my recommendation. Classical always made me sleepy. Example below.

I prefer to study primarily to M83, although I have a pretty varied playlist. I wish I put as much effort into studying as I did making it.

Bonobo, Bon Iver, Tycho, Sunlounger, Message to Bears, Blue Sky Black Death, Helios, Explosions in the Sky, lots of trance music.

I bump hardcore gangster rap. I mean I reeeaaally blast it through my headphones. Kendrick Lamar, Meek Mill, Lil B, Big Sean, Tyler the Creator, anyone I can jam to really.

Reactions: 1 users
Baconshrimps hates classical music, but needs to find something to listen to so they can droun out the sounds of noisy inconsiderate students in the library that don't understand that you're not supposed to be overly audible in the library. What do you listen to when you're studying?

having spent a lot of time in the library since starting school. I go for Siriusxm "chill" or "watercolors" or "spa" or "realjazz". Those are the best because they have so few commercials, if any, and you can customize the station to take out vocals and just have instrumentals. Short of that, you might want to try ultrasmoothjazz.com or jazzradio.com but then you have commercials.