Study plan for a non-trad

Started by kayak30
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kayak30

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read many interesting and informative threads on SDN, however, I was hoping someone could offer some advice specific to my situation.

As much as I would love to follow the SN2ed plan posted, I am limited on resources/finances and I'm hoping to purchase only set of books from either Princeton Review or Kaplan to self-study (I do have an old EK verbal 101 book that someone gave me, and a super old 2005 McGrall Hill MCAT book, should I use these?).

Here is my situation:

I am a non-trad over 30 student and I will be finishing my last two pre-reqs (Organic 1 and Organic 2 this fall/spring at a community college after leaving a post-bac, so I know how important my MCAT score will be first time around).

I would really like to apply in the spring so this means I need to take the MCAT before I complete Organic 2. I would like to start an intensive study schedule soon, but I worry if I give myself too much time before taking the MCAT that I may forget some of the material. Is it the general consensus that it's best to study 3mo. before and no more/less? I will be working only part-time and taking 1 class close to home.

Here are some of my questions/concerns:

1) Should I invest in Princeton Review or Kaplan books- I don't want to/can't spend more than $200

2) When should I start an intensive study schedule? More than 3mo ok?

3) What is the best MCAT date I should register for if I want to apply in the spring while taking Ochem 2?


Thank you so much in advance...much, much, much appreciated!!! 😳
 
If you only have $200 to spend for MCAT prep materials, I would strongly suggest you wait until you have more money. Sadly, MCAT prep and just taking the test itself is an expensive process (not to mention applying). With $200, you can't even buy all of the AAMC FLs, let alone MCAT books.
 
For books, keep your eye on the classified threads here. Also look on Craigslist as I got all EK books and some 2005 ones for $80. See if there's people you can borrow from. I have lent many materials out to those in need. And yes, make sure you budget out the complete costs of practice tests and the real one.
 
For books, keep your eye on the classified threads here. Also look on Craigslist as I got all EK books and some 2005 ones for $80. See if there's people you can borrow from. I have lent many materials out to those in need. And yes, make sure you budget out the complete costs of practice tests and the real one.

Thank you, I will be sure to keep checking the classifieds :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you only have $200 to spend for MCAT prep materials, I would strongly suggest you wait until you have more money. Sadly, MCAT prep and just taking the test itself is an expensive process (not to mention applying). With $200, you can't even buy all of the AAMC FLs, let alone MCAT books.

Thank you I will be sure to try to budget to at least get the AAMC tests!
 
I personally thought AAMC tests were worth the most money to me. After that, probably the EK full review pack. Think it was $125 when I bought mine.
 
I got the entire EK book set off amazon used for $50. Granted, it was highlighted to bits (I mean, who needs to highlight every SINGLE word...what's the point?), and it was a pretty old edition, but it got the job done. I would splurge a little and get some of the BR books though, particularly the physics and chemistry.
 
SN2ed,
I read your 3-month guide to studying for the MCAT. I wanted to ask you what you would change to your study guide now that the exam is changing over the next couple of years? Which study books/practice tests should I purchase? I am planning to take the test in March 2013. I know that the writing sample section will be removed.

Thanks
 
Last edited: