Study Schedule for Slow Learner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I am a new M1 and is searching consistently for great study tools/schedule. So far I have been using pre-made Anki decks, reviewing powerpoints before and after class while taking pen notes on a tablet. I spend an hour at the gym everyday for a break but usually study 3 to 4 hours a night. (Anki, looking over ppt from day and looking at the new material). Additionally, I try to get adequate sleep. I plan to study all weekends with breaks at night. I am wondering what awesome study methods are out there for slow learners? The material does not appear to be clicking at all. I am far from the smartest person at my medical school but would still like to do well on boards (245+) someday. We are focusing on Anatomy and Biochem during this block. Any other methods to supplement learning would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you use Anki everyday without fail, it will reinforce facts for you, while the powerpoints/pre-reading will provide structure. I always felt a little lost for the first half of the term, but it all began to clarify towards the end. You should like you have a good plan moving forward. Make sure you leave your reviews on "9999" so you review all the info that's encoding "slower" than others.

If you use Anki everyday without fail, it will reinforce facts for you, while the powerpoints/pre-reading will provide structure. I always felt a little lost for the first half of the term, but it all began to clarify towards the end. You should like you have a good plan moving forward. Make sure you leave your reviews on "9999" so you review all the info that's encoding "slower" than others.
Just starting to use anki. Would you please explain to me how to do that or direct me towards a resource? Thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Love your avatar by the way, scrubs is the best!

These are my settings, hopefully that's a helpful starting point.
I used Zanki for M1/2 and it worked pretty well!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 6.10.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 6.10.22 PM.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 6.10.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 6.10.35 PM.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: 3 users
ANKI is free to download. A google search will get you there. From there, familiarize yourself with the interface and watch some YouTube videos made by medical students for a start.

How do I get to the settings to where I can edit?

Use this youtube channel

Reactions: 1 users
Do everything the AnKing says. Dude didn't study for his final and still scored at the top of his class...

Do everything the AnKing says. Dude didn't study for his final and still scored at the top of his class...

Bro half the people in medical school do not study at all for class. I recommend you do the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Bro half the people in medical school do not study at all for class. I recommend you do the same.

Oh no I know. But what I'm saying is he didn't study for his final, meaning he didn't review at all because of circumstances that came up, and still scored at the top of his class.

Anki can be a huge time sink. So I warn anyone who jumps into it thinking it's anything but a huge time commitment and you have to be consistent with it. It's not a magic bullet, just another thing you can put your time into do what's best for your style

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN,
I am a new M1 and is searching consistently for great study tools/schedule. So far I have been using pre-made Anki decks, reviewing powerpoints before and after class while taking pen notes on a tablet. I spend an hour at the gym everyday for a break but usually study 3 to 4 hours a night. (Anki, looking over ppt from day and looking at the new material). Additionally, I try to get adequate sleep. I plan to study all weekends with breaks at night. I am wondering what awesome study methods are out there for slow learners? The material does not appear to be clicking at all. I am far from the smartest person at my medical school but would still like to do well on boards (245+) someday. We are focusing on Anatomy and Biochem during this block. Any other methods to supplement learning would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'm kinda a slow learner too, have you figured out your study routine yet? Did you also incorporate Anki? I'm slowly trying to but I'm not sure how long I should spend on it daily.