Study schedule/plan for CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright my first aid book has arrived so it's time to get busy! I'm planning on taking the CBSE this summer. We take NBDE part 1 at the beginning of the summer so I was planning on taking the CBSE at the end of the summer that way my studying can overlap and I won't be "wasting" time. I plan on following my classes and augmenting my studies with the first aid sections (aka follow say my biochem lectures with the biochem section of the first aid).

Any thoughts on this plan? Anyone have a schedule they used that worked really well for them and that would like to share?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Part 1 and the CBSE hardly overlap in content. The CBSE requires its own intensive study plan independent of whatever you do for Part 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Part 1 and the CBSE hardly overlap in content. The CBSE requires its own intensive study plan independent of whatever you do for Part 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes I have heard that it is incredibly more difficult than the Part 1. But I have also heard from D3s that if you study for the CBSE the Part 1 is easy..

is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
By any chance do you know if the CBSE covers the same biomedical sciences? I.E. if I studied just the dental anatomy for the NDBE part 1 and studied the other bio med only via the CBSE would I be able to pass NBDE part 1?

The scope and depth of material on the CBSE is major overkill for the NBDE Part 1. It would be best to think of them as separate entities, although I'm sure studying for the CBSE wouldn't make you unprepared for the NBDE.

At my school people study for less than a week for the NBDE and everybody passes. The CBSE is usually taken the first time in the summer of second year and people will space it out over a few months. Nobody has ever advised me to start studying for the CBSE in D1. What they have said is to get First Aid, like you have, and just kind of follow along and maybe make flashcards or study guides while you're learning the material in class but to not go ham drilling it. Basically just make all of your study resources for the CBSE while you're doing the relevant material and set them aside for the few months you'll take to study for the CBSE. I've been told that because the material on the CBSE is so voluminous, that you should not study for it over a prolonged period of time because you'll just forget everything.

TLDR making resources off of your relevant material now will save you a lot of time and effort when CBSE studying rolls around, but it's not productive to actively study for the exam this far out. I can't give any advice on the NBDE because anyone I've ever talked to has said "you barely need to study for that, if at all".

Fair enough thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am a medical student that has tutored dental students for the gross anatomy portion of the NBDE Part 1 and many students have been pleased with my resources. Please contact me if you would be interested in purchasing my resource. Thanks.

Hopefully I'll run into you on the interview trail in the fall of 2019. If I pass this first exam that is :laugh:

Haha well this could actually be interesting! Maybe even during externships as well! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user