USMLE Study Step 1 first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmlchelseafc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excuse if I am posting a common question. I've been through numerous pages of 2014 and 2015 step 1 experiences thread and have saved some as a screenshot so I can refer as I go along my basic sciences years.

Just a quick question though, what do you guys recommend I use as a reference or study guide for step 1 in my first year? Obviously goal is to focus on classes but I figure I will have some extra time to dedicate to read over step 1 notes or whatnot.

Advise please.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it. Use first aid (and maybe pathoma) with classes. That's the only step 1 related thing you should be doing first year. There is more than enough you need to learn during first year without adding step 1 stuff, which you won't remember anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it. Use first aid (and maybe pathoma) with classes. That's the only step 1 related thing you should be doing first year. There is more than enough you need to learn during first year without adding step 1 stuff, which you won't remember anyway.

I agree with this statement. Just use first aid with your classes. During 2nd year use Pathoma, FA and Uworld with the classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Um would be anatomy, some biochem and histo.. the norm. There is intro to pharmacology. Second year is where I see a lot of step 1 related topics.

A lot of people in the past two years have said anatomy has been difficult on their exams, but there is no great resource to cram anatomy during dedicated time. With that in mind, try to learn anatomy extremely well the first time. Attempt to ace this class and add Gray's questions to your studying to help learn the clinical applications (how questions are asked on step 1).

A lot of people in the past two years have said anatomy has been difficult on their exams, but there is no great resource to cram anatomy during dedicated time. With that in mind, try to learn anatomy extremely well the first time. Attempt to ace this class and add Gray's questions to your studying to help learn the clinical applications (how questions are asked on step 1).

Interesting, I hadn't heard that, but I also haven't done much reading up on step 1 on sdn. The anatomy on my test was very straight-forward. Definitely wouldn't qualify as "difficult" by any standards.

But I agree that learning it as well as you can during first year is important, regardless of what shows up on step 1.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that, but I also haven't done much reading up on step 1 on sdn. The anatomy on my test was very straight-forward. Definitely wouldn't qualify as "difficult" by any standards.

But I agree that learning it as well as you can during first year is important, regardless of what shows up on step 1.

Yeah they must have decided to emphasize clinical anatomy. Many have said there was much more anatomy that what they expected based on the coverage in UFAP. My exam had a lot, but this was one of my strengths in MS1-2. It was still fairly tough.

Gray's review book was great IMO for practice Qs before anatomy exams in MS1.

I agree anatomy was actually not that hard, it's the main bread and butter stuff like radiculopathies, nerve roots, dermatomes, some GI related issues (what artery is the arrow pointing to, etc).

That said, I would agree there is not a whole lot to study. I'd focus on cell and genetics, as those are hard to brush up on during second year. But please, balance your time well and study hard. At least at my school, the first test is the easiest, and there were a lot of us in trouble because we let off studying for the second test.