Study strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tacoman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm an upcoming freshmen at Fisk university in Nashville, Tn. I'm kinda nervous about the whole moving from oklahoma to Tennessee deal, and I don't want that to be an issue with my studying. The thing is I want to become a D.O. but I'm really bad at mathematics. I'm amazing in the sciences, and decent in chemistry, but I don't want my freshmen year behind an "oops" moment that kills my GPA. So are there any study techniques you guys use for your difficult classes? I just want to be the first in my family to graduate college and do it with something I love! (medicine). And I don't want this one class holding me back from my dream. Thanks! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.227603,-95.966436

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm an upcoming freshmen at Fisk university in Nashville, Tn. I'm kinda nervous about the whole moving from oklahoma to Tennessee deal, and I don't want that to be an issue with my studying. The thing is I want to become a D.O. but I'm really bad at mathematics. I'm amazing in the sciences, and decent in chemistry, but I don't want my freshmen year behind an "oops" moment that kills my GPA. So are there any study techniques you guys use for your difficult classes? I just want to be the first in my family to graduate college and do it with something I love! (medicine). And I don't want this one class holding me back from my dream. Thanks! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.227603,-95.966436

One thing that I wish I did in undergrad was ask for help. Seriously, use tutoring service if your school has one, go to office hours, do everything you can do to get help if you are struggling.

On a lighter note, AACOMAS (D.O.) doesn't count Math as part of your sGPA. Still counts for your cGPA though, so don't mess up. No pressure right.

I felt that same way when I started college. I was scared to death about math because in high school I just took like "Math with real world applications" or some non-sense. I decided to get into that pre-algebra class and it was all pretty easy, I made A's from that class through Physics II. Good Luck! And yeah, go to those tutoring/SI sessions, they do help.

Members don't see this ad :)
What they said - tutoring tutoring tutoring.

And for math/science classes (chem/physics): do problems do problems do problems do problems.

Did I say do problems?

Every day.

It's like learning a perfect backhand in tennis, or to play a difficult piano piece. You must actively practice.

Understanding a lecture is not enough - you must do the problems.

And with enough effort you can be good at math.

Also if you have a learning disability get it documented now, and get academic accommodations (more test time, etc.) before you discover the hard way you have ADHD or dyslexia etc.

Check my other thread for all my personal study tips.

What they said - tutoring tutoring tutoring.

And for math/science classes (chem/physics): do problems do problems do problems do problems.

Did I say do problems?

Every day.

It's like learning a perfect backhand in tennis, or to play a difficult piano piece. You must actively practice.

Understanding a lecture is not enough - you must do the problems.

And with enough effort you can be good at math.

Also if you have a learning disability get it documented now, and get academic accommodations (more test time, etc.) before you discover the hard way you have ADHD or dyslexia etc.

Check my other thread for all my personal study tips.

Thank you so much! I read all of your tips for studying and they're all very good! If I ever have any questions about something do you mind me messaging you and asking?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.185936,-95.990116

Wait. What's with your "I'm here" stuff? Me suspicious.

Wait. What's with your "I'm here" stuff? Me suspicious.

I'm from Tulsa,Oklahoma and I'm using my iPhone app tapatalk. It tracks where ever I am and it helps people know where you are from. (To show diversity in location I guess). Because I've seen people from all around the US on here. I think it's cool seeing where everyone is from and knowing we all have the same goals!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.185852,-95.990108

I'm from Tulsa,Oklahoma and I'm using my iPhone app tapatalk. It tracks where ever I am and it helps people know where you are from. (To show diversity in location I guess). Because I've seen people from all around the US on here. I think it's cool seeing where everyone is from and knowing we all have the same goals!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.185852,-95.990108
I guess that's kinda cool.

As for math, you don't need it for DO. You'll only need Algebra 2 for Chem and Physics. Maybe you'll need trig, but I doubt it.

I needed Trig for Physics, one of my crappy B's. Damn grad student teachers. I later found out you could take pre-calc instead which is like algebra part 2. I recommend that. No need for in in depth analysis in trig if all you need to know are the 6 ids.

I needed Trig for Physics, one of my crappy B's. Damn grad student teachers. I later found out you could take pre-calc instead which is like algebra part 2. I recommend that. No need for in in depth analysis in trig if all you need to know are the 6 ids.
Depends on the school. Mine won't accept anything other than Trig. Fortunately I took the physics class before they started enforcing prerequisites.

College math isn't too bad. I'd worry more about physical chemistry or biochemistry.