Study: Teenage 'virginity pledges' are ineffective

Started by BMBiology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Teenagers who pledge to remain virgins until marriage are just as likely to have premarital sex as those who do not promise abstinence and are significantly less likely to use condoms and other forms of birth control when they do, according to a study released today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28415602/

Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have taken that pledge.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder how much funding the study required to determine this shocking revelation. The solution is clearly to put more money in abstinence education.
 
Interesting, I just read something on the subgroup of the pledgers. Here's the link.

Personally, I don't think sex ed impacts a person's likelihood to have sex. We can keep abstinance only programs or have them include all contraceptives under the sun, but it wouldn't change anything. What constitutes a person's sexual activity boils down to family & culture.
 
Personally, I don't think sex ed impacts a person's likelihood to have sex.
What we need to take away from this study is that abstinence education is worse than just ineffective: it's harmful, resulting in more kids having unsafe sex.

After all, a boy who has sworn to be abstinent isn't going to be carrying condoms in his wallet.

In my, um, personal experience, the best way for a teen to avoid sex is to be a nerd. Whether you want it or not, you lack the social skills.

More science education for our kids!