BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Teenagers who pledge to remain virgins until marriage are just as likely to have premarital sex as those who do not promise abstinence and are significantly less likely to use condoms and other forms of birth control when they do, according to a study released today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28415602/

Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have taken that pledge.

About the Ads

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
The first girl I schtooked was a devout Catholic girl and virgin who took one of those lame pledges...on the first date to boot...and...yup...no contraceptives.

Hormones > Religion.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
I just read about this on Fark.com. :thumbup:

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I wonder how much funding the study required to determine this shocking revelation. The solution is clearly to put more money in abstinence education.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
U.S. Public Health Service
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
pharmacykid.wordpress.com
Status
Pharmacy Student
Interesting, I just read something on the subgroup of the pledgers. Here's the link.

Personally, I don't think sex ed impacts a person's likelihood to have sex. We can keep abstinance only programs or have them include all contraceptives under the sun, but it wouldn't change anything. What constitutes a person's sexual activity boils down to family & culture.

Pharmavixen

foxy pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Status
Pharmacist
Personally, I don't think sex ed impacts a person's likelihood to have sex.
What we need to take away from this study is that abstinence education is worse than just ineffective: it's harmful, resulting in more kids having unsafe sex.

After all, a boy who has sworn to be abstinent isn't going to be carrying condoms in his wallet.

In my, um, personal experience, the best way for a teen to avoid sex is to be a nerd. Whether you want it or not, you lack the social skills.

More science education for our kids!

About the Ads