study time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

su_grad2007

Texas A&M 2015
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you already in vet school, I was just wondering how many hours a week do you spend studying. Also how do you balance doing well in vet school with demands of sleep, health, significant other, etc. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To add..
For current vet students, what undergraduate courses did you find most relevant/helpful once in vet school?

As a significant other(husband) of a 4th year vet student I learned that we might be able to go out for an evening once every couple of months. I learned to go to bed by myself. I learned to let her sleep late on the weekends when not on call or after late night studying for exams and make her breakfast in bed. I learned that other people besides me can be dedicated to their chosen career path not because of the money(and lack of) but the love of the potential good they can do. I learned that I love my wife and her dedication to this profession enough to support her decision to do an internship and residency(hopefully).

P.S. I learned to buy Kraft Mac'n Cheese 10 boxes at a time

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input MonkeyJunction...its good to know that somehow you do survive. As a SO of a vet student, did you find any sort of "support group" with the other SO's in your wife's class?? I am hoping when i get into school (keeping fingers crossed for this year) that my fiance can bond with some of the others in my class.

For those of you already in vet school, I was just wondering how many hours a week do you spend studying. Also how do you balance doing well in vet school with demands of sleep, health, significant other, etc. Thanks

plan to spend most of your time outside of class studying, at least first semester. since you don't know how much you have to do to learn the material, you'll go crazy trying to do everything. I spend A LOT of time studying, did well and felt that I had actualy learned the material, and so now second semester I am taking it a little easier. I always get 8 hrs of sleep, eat really healthy meals, and even have time for an art class. I go out on the weekends when I can but not every week. I also have enough time to keep up with my favorite tv shows :) definitely gets tiring though!! No matter what you do, get enough sleep. it makes everything else easier.

as far as what classes were helpful, so far I'm finding my animal science courses to be really useful, particularly animal reproduction and farm animal behavior. Also, my comparative vertebrate anatomy/physiology class was pretty helpful for embryology, and I'm sure it will be helpful for later in the semester when we do comparative anatomy. Also having taken physiology and endocrinology already is really helping me. Other classes I'd recommend would be any upper level biology classes (cell bio, developmental biology, anatomy, histology, genetics, biotech stuff) and also psychology/animal behavior cant hurt.

Thanks for the input MonkeyJunction...its good to know that somehow you do survive. As a SO of a vet student, did you find any sort of "support group" with the other SO's in your wife's class?? I am hoping when i get into school (keeping fingers crossed for this year) that my fiance can bond with some of the others in my class.

Yeah, we were lucky that she had some good lab partners assigned who also shared similar interests so we got together for sporting events/study groups. I think we built some very good and lasting friendships. Then again since we were not the poorest(thanks to my job) we always hosted the BBQ's/study sessions. I found it easier to spend time with her that way

I get in about 2 hours of studying each week night (we have class from 8-5 and that's about all I can manage after a long day). On the weekend I get in about 8 hours total (~4 hours each day, or if I'm slacking on Saturday it's going to be a long Sunday). It sounds like a lot when you consider we are putting in 40 hours of class time, but I still catch my TV shows (thanks to my TiVo), exercise regularly, get 7 hours of sleep and hang out with friends on the weekend.

As far as balancing a relationship. My boyfriend is in medical school (human) in Richmond, VA (1300 miles away). We are lucky that we are both busy and going through very similar things, however the distance is brutal. He comes out once a semester and I go back once a semester and we see each other for Christmas and summer. But if your significant other is along for the ride KSU CVM has a good support group (SOKS - significant others of K State Students).

Congrats on getting in to school! I found that the most helpful courses were not nessecarily animal specific classes. Instead I'd reccommend building up on your cell biology, physiology, biochemistry, etc. This is what will be most helpful your first year and most important to build a good base for later courses (ie pathology, pharmacology, etc). I was a biology major at a non-agriculture school and I lot of my classmates that were animal science majors, etc wished they had taken a lot of the advanced cell biology, etc that I was forced to take (but am happy about it now!).