study time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yevgeny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone who has been in a DPT program always warns of how hard and time consuming the program is. For those who have finished the program, or are about to, how much studying did it take you on your own time after class, on average?

Members don't see this ad.

While it found the PT curriculum engaging and often challenging, I never thought that it was so consuming that I didn't have ample time to go into the city (Philadelphia), drink beer, take weekend trips to NYC, Jersey shore, etc. I still felt like I had a "life" outside of PT school. I think some of how demanding school is gets blown out of proportion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I spent a ton of time studying, doing research, finishing projects, I had plenty of time to enjoy myself with friends. Was one of the perks of going to school in NYC as there are tons to do (gym, shows, zoos, central park, any type of food at all hours of the night, beaches, clubs, etc). Some of our profs really stressed that we keep our lives out of school important. Was very refreshing after being stuck in the library for what seemed like days at a time!

Do they expect A's and perfection on all exams?

Many programs require a 3.0 GPA to graduate.

You don't need A's, but for those on merit scholarships, you do need to keep your grades up!

How about the lecture exams? Are they still multiple choice "connect the dots" BS exams? Or are they more realistic where they ask you to explain everything you know on a topic?

I have always stuggled doing "multiple choice" exams and by struggling I mean B/B+, but I always do well in lab exams when things are actually applied.

When it comes to real life, someone isn't going to give you 4-5 options to pick from with 1 or 2 of options trying to trick you. They're are simply going to ask what do you know...

Last edited:
How about the lecture exams? Are they still multiple choice "connect the dots" BS exams? Or are they more realistic where they ask you to explain everything you know on a topic?

I have always stuggled doing "multiple choice" exams and by struggling I mean B/B+, but I always do well in lab exams when things are actually applied.

When it comes to real life, someone isn't going to give you 4-5 options to pick from with 1 or 2 of options trying to trick you. They're are simply going to ask what do you...

Really depends on each prof. Mainly most profs make their tests similar to the board questions which is multiple choice. Most of the time, you will have to answer which is most correct...which really does suck and is very tricky.

it can be as easy or hard as you make it but make sure you get feedback from people in your actual program because all programs are different. Almost through my first year and I have had weekends/weeks where all I felt like I did was study. The better you manage your time the easier it is. GET STUFF DONE AS SOON AS YOU CAN and KEEP ON TOP OF THINGS!! If you follow those simple things there will be time for all the things you are used to do doing maybe just not as consistently as before..

Those of you who say you were able to "have a life during PT school," were any of you able to work at all? And if so, what did you do? I worked around 15 hrs/week in undergrad, and it was hard, but do-able. My program (UMiami) starts with summer-long anatomy, and I'm definitely not planning on working then, but maybe after?

dwr2018,

To be on the safe side, I would say don't work during school. But, if you really need the money, then I suggest you wait until you are done with your first round of midterms and see how you're doing. If you're able to handle the workload and hold a part-time job, then that's great. But, just remember that each program varies and each person's experience of the same program can vary as well.

I hope I don't ginx myself but I agree. So far (first year) it has not been that bad. In undergrad I worked full time and went to school full time. I never had time for a life. Now I have all kinds of extra time and never feel like I can not get away. Last weekend I went to vegas and mountain biked both days, came home and studied for an exam I had monday. Homework is rare, but we get notice of it well in advance. All in all, I have more time now than ever in my adult life and I love it.

Pwrtrainer, JessPT, et al......How many hours a day would you say you study/studied during the weekdays and on the weekends? Would you study everyday? Do you feel like your study time was heavily dedicated to reading textbook materials or actual studying?

How about athletics and intramurals? There's time to play some pick up basketball and get some workouts in right??

How about athletics and intramurals? There's time to play some pick up basketball and get some workouts in right??

You can always justify those activites as something related to what you're studying....practice proper body mechanics and think about what muscles are moving which joints during your workout. I plan on taking dance classes on weekends, and will analyze other people's technique to figure out what injury they're most likely to suffer from (which I kind of do already anyway).

Outside of class I have plenty of time to ride my mtn bike. Just got back from a 5 hour ride in Sedona.

I'm jealous! Do you go to NAU? I'm going to try to get out there to ride in the next month or so.

Pwrtrainer, JessPT, et al......How many hours a day would you say you study/studied during the weekdays and on the weekends? Would you study everyday? Do you feel like your study time was heavily dedicated to reading textbook materials or actual studying?

I typically studied daily, usually for an hour or two, but often there was a few hour break between a class, so I could get it done then. Usually I studied for 3-4 hours a day on the weekend, but that could increase if there were any big exams coming up. I found studying for lab practicals was a bit more time consuming because you have to get together with your classmates and larger groups are usually a bit less efficient in the use of their time.