Study Tips for Pharm Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did okay in my pharm class; however, I must say that I hardly retained drugs...like I forget quickly for some reasons. Any study tips that worked better for you guys for step 1 preparation???

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i memorized first aid, and if u do that for the pharm section you should be fine.

I had a lot of time, and, fortunately for me, a bit of money (I worked before I went to medical school). That let me use Kaplan's video service. And let me tell you, those videos are the BOMB. Lionel, or, lenoil as he refers to himself in the biochem videos CRUSHES pharm and biochem. Both were NOT my best classes but were BOTH my best areas of performance.

Its a cost hindrance and a lot of time. Honestly, if you are like most people, the original responder is right. Use First Aid, memorize whats there and it goes A LONG way.

On making them stick? No clue. Memorization is favored over understanding on Step exams, but I think repetition is great for short-term recovery of nonsense detail information (exactly what you want)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the suggestions!!!

I am actually using Kaplan to prepare for my step. I haven't covered Pharm part yet. So my plan is to use Kaplan with FA...It's quite overwhelming to do both but I have no choice.

Thanks once again

study hard for the shelf and do well (shows you learned the info the first time around). Then use USMLE step I and maybe kaplan to review. Make sure you know WHY, since that will definitely help retention.

Then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat....learning pharm just requires (for most minds) that you repeat the information over and over since it's not so much conceptual as just raw data.

BRS pharm cards had lots of high yield stuff for my test as far as I can remember. If you have the time to put into it, I think the best resource for learning the material is the Kaplan Videos (the new ones where Lionel is teaching pharm). If you can get your hands on those you'd be in good shape