Study Tips Full time job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gst426

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should get and use the AAMC prep bundle and am hoping for feedback. Also, any general studying tips are appreciated! I took a practice Kaplan MCAT and need to raise my score 3 points higher than my Kaplan score to be safe for an interview and 6 points to be at the average admitted score. I have not taken the pre-requisites and have been teaching myself using Kaplan's books (I also have their online course but was disappointed in it and have not used it. I strongly recommend just buying the books.) I had not reviewed the Kaplan Biochem and Behavioral sciences books before the Kap test, so I am hoping that review will raise my scores some. I take the MCAT May 13 and start a fairly demanding job January 9th, so my studying time will be greatly reduced. But by January 9th I will have reviewed all the books except CARS (I'm not using it), so I will be shifting to mastering and retaining info. For about a month or two I will be driving 1.5hrs to get back home on the weekends. Any audio study material for the new MCAT? I recorded notes but I've notice I kind of tune my own voice out and stop listening so I'm looking for something else. Any tips on studying once I start working? Feelings on prep bundle, should I buy or it or continue with just Kaplan and buy the individual AAMC practice tests? Thanks, any feed back greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide if I should get and use the AAMC prep bundle and am hoping for feedback. Also, any general studying tips are appreciated! I took a practice Kaplan MCAT and need to raise my score 3 points higher than my Kaplan score to be safe for an interview and 6 points to be at the average admitted score. I have not taken the pre-requisites and have been teaching myself using Kaplan's books (I also have their online course but was disappointed in it and have not used it. I strongly recommend just buying the books.) I had not reviewed the Kaplan Biochem and Behavioral sciences books before the Kap test, so I am hoping that review will raise my scores some. I take the MCAT May 13 and start a fairly demanding job January 9th, so my studying time will be greatly reduced. But by January 9th I will have reviewed all the books except CARS (I'm not using it), so I will be shifting to mastering and retaining info. For about a month or two I will be driving 1.5hrs to get back home on the weekends. Any audio study material for the new MCAT? I recorded notes but I've notice I kind of tune my own voice out and stop listening so I'm looking for something else. Any tips on studying once I start working? Feelings on prep bundle, should I buy or it or continue with just Kaplan and buy the individual AAMC practice tests? Thanks, any feed back greatly appreciated!
1. No score is safe enough for an interview/acceptance.
2. Understanding > memorization. One section can grant you a good score via memorization: psych soc.
3. Quality > quantity. I also worked ft while studying...it's doable.
4. Take as many practice exams as possible. This is where you will learn the most. I recommend NS and EK.
5. Anki. Know it, use it, love it. It allows you to review facts essentially anywhere you are.
6. Do not fall into the trap that prep books/certain prep books will give you a solid foundation. If I could do it all over again, I would save my wallet and simply use the aamc outline + google.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I listened to Kahn Academy psych and soc videos while driving -- I found that I didn't need the visual aspect of those videos the way I did for some of the hard science concepts. This is also the section that benefits the most from straight up memorization.

Definitely buy individual AAMC practice tests -- they are by far the most representative of the actual exam. For other practice tests I used Exam Krackers and was happy with them.

Why are you taking the MCAT if you don't have any medical school pre-reqs? Did I miss something?

No, you did not miss anything, I didn't explain it and can understand your confusion. The new job I have is an excellent opportunity in my current profession. They are aware that I am taking the MCAT but I can't draw things out or their patience will probably fade. Also, I do have a few of the pre-reqs (1 semester bio, 1 chem, 2 physics) from online community college (I triple checked, the medical school I am interested in will accept them) but they really were not very helpful beyond fulfilling a pre-req. Since I have to work full time to support my family, my other pre-reqs will most likely be online, so there is no point in taking them first. Instead of saying I haven't had the pre-reqs, it is more accurate to say I've had a few but they're not really helpful prep for the MCAT.

2 hours per day for 5 months has more value than taking time off. The studying over 4-5 hours per day isn't as valuable because you're going to lose focus when you're studying for that long.

Berkeley Review is by far the best resource; their content review is as good as anyone's and they offer TONS of relevant practice.

I don't like NextStep. They are bonkers for genetics - NS3 is almost exclusively genetics.

And for the record I'm completely sick of studying for this exam but still doing it.

Start off with this. 5 months is wayyyy to long to study. I guarantee you will be forgetting the stuff you learned in the first 2 months before you exam comes. There is a reason why the average for step 1 prep is a 4-6 weeks, and almost all recommended prep is < 3 months for mcat. Do. Not. Stretch. It. Longer.

Second, a lot of places don't accept pre-reqs taken online - I wouldn't plan on this. Even worse is if you think you're going to only apply to one program (you said the one you are interested in accepts it. You do know the average is 16 schools applied to, and most people would recommend more. #1 mistake people make is not applying broadly enough)

Third - taking MCAT before pre-reqs is a horrible idea for a number of reasons. A) you only have 3 years your score is good for. You'll be wasting precious time doing your prereqs while your score moves closer to expiring. It should be the last thing you do. B) MCAT prep is based around you already have the general topics, and more of a review game. It shouldn't be how you are learning the material for the first time. Trust me. This is a horrible. Horrible idea. You will be obliterated by bioch, etc.

Fourth - your first post says you are 6 below average admitted which would put you at a 503. 3 for a "safe for II" would be a 506 which is not exactly safe. If anything it's the very, very bottom of MD scores, and average to low for DO. You want to be at a 508 at least - not saying a lower score than that won't get an II, but it's no where near "safe" (which there is no such thing).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks all for the feedback. I know taking the MCAT before pre-reqs, getting cc pre-reqs online, and applying to one school is not a great plan but it is this or nothing. Also, I realize there are not guarantees but I spoke to people at the school and they told me interviews are based solely on a GPA/MCAT formula and the MCAT score needed to be pretty sure of getting an interview. Like I said, this is not the ideal route but it's my only path. All the tips on how to maximize my chances are greatly appreciated!