Study Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willow84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been seven years since I was in school, and I think I'm pushing up a steep "no studying/learning" hump. My old study techniques (read, highlight, write thorough notes for each chapter) don't seem to be the best use of my time for digesting such large amounts of detailed information in bio, chem, etc. I also come from a non-science background so adjusting to the material (and the sheer amount of it!) has been a challenge. Was anyone in my shoes at one point that can share any studying advice? Or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For chemistry and physics, it's all about doing as many practice problems as possible. Little else matters.

For biology, it's all about flashcards.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, @willow84

I listen to
http://simplynoise.com/
http://rain.simplynoise.com/
or classical music (not MPR for studying though, more like All Thing Classical at I-Heart)

Also, I worry all day long about what I don't know then go crazy studying.

-Chemistry I use repetition, Bio is memorization, Math is understanding concepts,

Do you have any specific questions though?

-Problems concentrating? etc.

Best of luck ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was out of school quite a while and had to relearn all of the MCAT classes. For me, working problems worked the best in any class that this was an option. In bio/ochem, spaced pathway/figure drawing seemed to work the best.

It's been seven years since I was in school, and I think I'm pushing up a steep "no studying/learning" hump. My old study techniques (read, highlight, write thorough notes for each chapter) don't seem to be the best use of my time for digesting such large amounts of detailed information in bio, chem, etc. I also come from a non-science background so adjusting to the material (and the sheer amount of it!) has been a challenge. Was anyone in my shoes at one point that can share any studying advice? Or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
I read "learning how to learn" which is specifically about how to learn science. It talks about why highlighting is not effective, and has specific techniques. I'd recommend it but some highlights are:
- After you read a page, summarize it in your head while looking away
- Write stuff down by hand
- Do flashcards
- Practice solving problems, and do odds/evens on different days
- Sleep enough
- Consider reviewing a difficult problem right before bed