Studying abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PuKcAo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a perdicament. I want, very badly, to study abroad for at least a semester but I'm not sure when the best time is to do it. Is there anything that needs to be done application wise during the fall of your sr. year that I would absolutely have to be here for. Seems like if I wanted to take the MCAT in April I couldn't go abroad in the spring so that would only leave fall of my sr. year. Help please.

Members don't see this ad.

PuKcAo said:
I'm in a bit of a perdicament. I want, very badly, to study abroad for at least a semester but I'm not sure when the best time is to do it. Is there anything that needs to be done application wise during the fall of your sr. year that I would absolutely have to be here for. Seems like if I wanted to take the MCAT in April I couldn't go abroad in the spring so that would only leave fall of my sr. year. Help please.

Do it your Sophomore year. Junior year is mcat season, Senior year is application and interview season. When I went abroad it was a great break before my hectic junior year. Another option would be to study abroad during the summer.
Have fun!

best would be sophomore year. fall of senior year...i think that should be ok as long as you have LORs lined up...

Members don't see this ad :)
k-monger said:
Do it your Sophomore year. Junior year is mcat season, Senior year is application and interview season. When I went abroad it was a great break before my hectic junior year. Another option would be to study abroad during the summer.
Have fun!

Too late for that.

just go ahead and do it spring semester junior year and take the mcat in august. that's what i did. and honestly, i have absolutely no regrets. i had an awesome time abroad. the best experience of my entire life. lived in a developing country. became fluent in another language and met amazing people. it takes an independent and strong person to study in another country and adcom members know this. so, if i were you, i wouldn't worry about my application and just go ahead and do it.

i don't think going abroad in the fall of sr. year is a good idea b/c of interviews. i know some people who got their apps in on june 2nd and are studying abroad spring of senior year. they have already been accepted places and have had most of their interviews.

in my experience, most schools will work with you whatever you decide to do, in terms of scheduling interviews.

If it is really important to you, either apply to schools that accept deferal letters or delay applying one year. There is no rush and your life goals are more important than med school - remember that. As long as you are at least somewhat productive in improving yourself or others (i.e. not sipping small umbrella drinks in Tahiti). I would try to volunteer for 6 months in a developing country (both for the resume and the experience - mainly the experience) and then travel another six months. If a particular med school can't appreciate that experience then you probably don't want to go there.

VeggieGal said:
just go ahead and do it spring semester junior year and take the mcat in august. that's what i did. and honestly, i have absolutely no regrets. i had an awesome time abroad. the best experience of my entire life. lived in a developing country. became fluent in another language and met amazing people. it takes an independent and strong person to study in another country and adcom members know this. so, if i were you, i wouldn't worry about my application and just go ahead and do it.

i don't think going abroad in the fall of sr. year is a good idea b/c of interviews. i know some people who got their apps in on june 2nd and are studying abroad spring of senior year. they have already been accepted places and have had most of their interviews.

in my experience, most schools will work with you whatever you decide to do, in terms of scheduling interviews.

It's just that it seems like if med schools are willing to say themselves they prefer the april mcat over august then its seems like it would certainly be to my advantage (i need all the advantages i can get) to do it. If I did it my fall sr. year would it would still show up on my app right? And typically do you have interviews in the fall?

biendesalud said:
If it is really important to you, either apply to schools that accept deferal letters or delay applying one year. There is no rush and your life goals are more important than med school - remember that. As long as you are at least somewhat productive in improving yourself or others (i.e. not sipping small umbrella drinks in Tahiti). I would try to volunteer for 6 months in a developing country (both for the resume and the experience - mainly the experience) and then travel another six months. If a particular med school can't appreciate that experience then you probably don't want to go there.

As for delaying the application a year, I am already doing this. The sr. year I speak of would be year 5. As for the defferals, I'm not quite sure how this works. Do you know what type of schools take defferal and what type don't. I would absolutely love to do this. How hear is it to get a defferal? Can I just say that I want to take a year to travel the world?

PuKcAo said:
As for delaying the application a year, I am already doing this. The sr. year I speak of would be year 5. As for the defferals, I'm not quite sure how this works. Do you know what type of schools take defferal and what type don't. I would absolutely love to do this. How hear is it to get a defferal? Can I just say that I want to take a year to travel the world?

If you look in the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), each school under the Application and Acceptance Policies specifies if "Requests for deferred entrance considered: Y/N' I have not investigated what justifies a deferral, but I know of one md/phd at ucsd who deferred to 'just go travel.' I'm not sure I would buy that if I was a med school, but it's worth a shot. You can always call anonomously and ask what reasons have been accepted in the past (i.e. I have a 'friend' who wants to put off medical school...). It would help if you had a specific plan to present once you did decide to move forward with it.

I always encourage people to work/study abroad and travel. More the former than the latter. If you've got the bug, go for it now because it will be more difficult as you become 'embedded' in medicine (unless you get into doctors without boarders). I'm 32 and lived abroad and travelled (in addition to a real job) during my twenties. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer for two and a half years and that might be something you want to look into. I'm glad I did it and have been accepted to two med schools that I am very happy with so far. I can't say it hasn't been stressful, but be true to yourself and be productive (again, be with an organization at least part of the time); the offers will be there when you get back. Look around at your options and sell them on your plan. If you have a specific school you want to go to, ask them about it.

I spent nearly half of my undergraduate career abroad. You don't have to apply right out of college. I decided to live a little first, and then go back to school. This option might offer you the best of both worlds if you don't mind taking a little extra time.

I studied abroad the fall of my junior year. I thought this was perfect. It was a nice break after 2 years of constant schooling (i did the summers too). So it split it up nice. This way, when i came back, i had the spring to grind it out and study for the MCAT. Either way, definatley go abroad. Best 4 months of my life