studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLivingMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to study abroad? I don't want to fall behind on anything and am unsure if this would hinder me in any way. I'd like to study abroad sometime in the next couple of years, so if it is a good idea, when would be the best time that I should go for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just do it if you want to. Especially if you have never been there. If you started your premeds on time then it shouldn't be an issue. I did two study abroads, but I also started later so I'm not exactly on schedule. I think the experiences and lessons learned abroad are more valuable than rushing into medical school if it DOES take longer. I'd probably do a spring semester if it is your senior year. If it is a junior year schedule it according to when you want to take the MCAT. I knew one girl that actually flew home for one weekend just to take the MCAT and flew back...but that isn't really recommended. Aside from jet lag, it is expensive.

Is it a good idea to study abroad? I don't want to fall behind on anything and am unsure if this would hinder me in any way. I'd like to study abroad sometime in the next couple of years, so if it is a good idea, when would be the best time that I should go for it?

well, you have to select your own suitable time first of all. the different semesters offered by the universities or med schools have the same sort of value. studying abroad is always a good idea. but make sure your wallet is loaded.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied abroad my junior during the fall semester. It was a great experience, but my university directly transfered my grades, which was not good for me. Everything was in spanish and i learned a lot but the 3.0 in spain dropped my GPA from a 3.8 to a 3.6

I studied spring of my junior year, which was the traditional time period at my school. I also went to Japan, and they have a very different semester schedule - i.e. spring semester starts in March-early April, so you either go for a whole year or the spring semester.

I personally wouldn't recommend going spring of your senior year simply because it will really break up your undergrad experience. While they always talk about culture shock upon arrival to the host country, you DO experience an adjustment when you return to the US (some places, like Australia, aren't too bad, but Asia, for example, is a drastically different environment). The first few weeks you might feel out of place and have difficulty relating to your peers who stayed home - and you really don't want this to be during your senior week and graduation. I felt that I really bonded with my classmates in my senior year, especially the spring semester, and I would strongly suggest going before your senior year, if possible.

I went with CIEE-Tokyo. The program was sponsored by my home institution, so all the grades and credits transferred (though I had to e-mail my intended registration there to have it approved by my advisor, since I studied abroad for my major, but it was OK'd swiftly). The grading system was slightly different - no +/-, but it came out ok, because I had 2 solid As, 1 A-, and 1 B+, so the A- became an A and the B+ became a B, which in the end is the same as if I had actually gotten an A- and a B+, GPA-wise.

And I always talk about this as a precaution. My *personal* experience was very negative due to being placed with a host family from hell. It took FOREVER for me to move out, and during the process I was dragged through dirt both by my host family and my program. For example, I was blamed by my program director for being rude, antisocial, unappreciative, etc, while my host family was painted as angels. I even asked if someone had complained about them before, and I was told "NO, YOU are the first one who seems to be incapable of getting along with them!" To give you an idea of what it was like - my host mother decided to make up a sheet titled "Things I don't like about Jochi1543" and kept adding items to it and reading it to me daily.:rolleyes:

Anyway, then I managed to get in touch with 2 people who had lived with these people before, and BOTH told me they had a terrible experience and strongly suggested to the program that these people not host anyone anymore. So much for the "you're the first one to complain." I really made a mistake by waiting too long and blaming myself for everything when in reality, I played a much smaller role in creating the conflict. In fact, I underwent so much stress that I developed major depression when I got back to the US and nearly dropped out of college - but luckily, I decided to go see a shrink and was diagnosed and prescribed antidepressants, so I was able to get back on track and finish the semester (and my senior year) with a 3.75, albeit with 1 dropped course both semesters - I had to limit my workload.

Bottom line: you CAN run into serious trouble when you study abroad, but you CAN take control over it if you recognize the problem soon enough and change things that are making you miserable.

Studying abroad was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to everyone. Its a great personal challenge and a really neat way to see what other educational systems are really like.

Feel free to PM me with any questions

I studied abroad my junior during the fall semester. It was a great experience, but my university directly transfered my grades, which was not good for me. Everything was in spanish and i learned a lot but the 3.0 in spain dropped my GPA from a 3.8 to a 3.6

My grades transferred too...Nothing like being graded on a literature science course with the same standards as the germans....

I don't get the other thing about money. I think it depends on the program you are in though. I already pay a lot, and doing study abroad was actually cheaper for me. I have friends that spent over 6k in a semester....but considering I travelled for 5 weeks and then lived in an apartment with a host family..I spent maybe 2k....which isn't chump change but I made 3k the 2 months before I left.

I say do it.....I don't talk it up much because it was my 5th time in Germany, so it was nothing special for me. I really just wanted to study at a fairly prestigious university over there....and it was world cup.

My grades transferred too...Nothing like being graded on a literature science course with the same standards as the germans....

I don't get the other thing about money. I think it depends on the program you are in though. I already pay a lot, and doing study abroad was actually cheaper for me. I have friends that spent over 6k in a semester....but considering I travelled for 5 weeks and then lived in an apartment with a host family..I spent maybe 2k....which isn't chump change but I made 3k the 2 months before I left.

I say do it.....I don't talk it up much because it was my 5th time in Germany, so it was nothing special for me. I really just wanted to study at a fairly prestigious university over there....and it was world cup.
I won't do a technical "study abroad" program, but I plan to do an internship with the German Red Cross (DRK) ambulance service at some point before I graduate undergrad. But then again, travelling abroad is nothing new to me- I've been to Europe quite a few times and various other less than desirable locations.

I got lucky, Japanese is such a hard language that I don't think any study abroad programs that conduct all classes in Japanese even exist. So all my courses were in English (except for, of course, the Japanese class itself). The set-up was actually kind of different: we were a satellite campus of a large university which was meant for Japanese students who had spent a good amount of time abroad and thus were not able to take regular classes -academic Japanese is quite different from conversational Japanese, so even if you understand every single word in a TV show and speak fluently, you may not be able to take classes in Japanese. So most of my classmates were actually Japanese, but the classes were nonetheless in English. The main campus, however, had all classes in Japanese.

I went to a really expensive private college, so nearly ALL study abroad programs out there were cheaper (some like 3x cheaper) than a semester at home. Except, OF COURSE, the Japanese study abroad programs - simply because of the cost of living there.:rolleyes: However, my financial aid still applied since study abroad was a required part of my major.

Do it! It will be one of the best experiences of your life!

I studied abroad for my whole junior year (september-july) and loved every minute of it. I went to England (notorious for being expensive) and actually saved myself $5000 over the year. I took classes that transferred for my major (physio) and some GE's I had been holding off on because I knew they'd be easy to transfer. I took all my pre-med/major pre-reqs before I went.

I know you want to stay on schedule (whatever your schedule might be) but don't be afraid to get behind the 'traditional' undergrad-to-medschool schedule. I took my MCAT my senior year after I got back (didn't want to ruin a perfectly good year abroad with studying for the MCAT) and took a year off before applying. I don't know what your plan/schedule is, but I have to say don't be afraid to take some time off before applying. I found it to be exactly what I needed.

Also, you're guaranteed to have some amazing/unique expierences. Half of my interview was spent talking about something I did while abroad :thumbup:

Summary.....do it and don't look back. Even if you don't like it (unfortunately not everything is rainbows and butterflies) you'll learn a lot about yourself and wherever it is you decide to go. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you're thinking about England. :D

Study abroad, or go abroad, while you still can without any real obligations. The courses you take abroad probably won't be as challenging as normal in-country courses. You'll have plenty of time to learn about another culture, meet people from around the world, and increase your global perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it, for sure. I did two and wouldn't trade them for anything. Depending on your school it may not be that much more expensive than staying here. I know my school had a summer tuition discount, and if you took 6 hours or more in the summer, you got a full semesters worth of scholarship money for just those few months of class. Considering credit hours were $700ish a piece at home during the fall/spring semesters, taking classes overseas looked reasonable.
It also looks good on resumes, shows that you're open minded and whatnot and that you've been exposed to other cultures, which is pretty big these days. Especially now that everything is so PC. It also helps separate you from the herd in terms of background.
Like someone else said, if your interviewer has traveled (or perhaps even if not), it makes for great conversation.

you definitely will not fall behind...in fact, if you go to a place like England you could potentially earn a HECK of ALOT of CREDITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished early b/c I studied abroad in england.

cya

I agree with everyone on this one. It's totally worth it and looking back on it, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

I studied abroad for my entire junior year. Honestly, it held me up a little bit (but that was due to the classes I took) and English Universities are cut throat (a third year course has very high standards, even the ivy kids I attended classes with didn't get A's). History majors were writing 10 page papers every week but didn't have finals. Your university will probably translate the grades which softens the blow. Basically i had to work 4-5 times harder in England to get the grades that I usually got at my university. Plus living on exchange rates really sucked.

Don't let this discourage you. Considering the majority of pre-meds don't usually participate in such programs, it really became a talking point during my interviews and experiencing it allowed me to give very good responses. For example, if I was asked to compare the British to the US health system, I absolutely killed it. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me

I agree with everyone on this one. It's totally worth it and looking back on it, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

Although friends who studied in Spain and Italy basically told me they partied.
They probably partied because nothing in Spain even opens until the time of day bars in England are closing up. You have all day to get your work done, sleep, and then go out, care-free style. I did one in Spain and one in England, and you're right though, the stuff in England was graded harder (though to be fair, taking Spanish in Spain kind of makes everyday interactions into learning opportunities).

To the OP, if you decide to go somewhere, I'd put much more emphasis on making sure I learned what I wanted where I wanted than I would on when I was going. Time is on your side. And besides, the sooner you get your first study abroad out of the way, the sooner you get to do your second one. And third, etc.

I actually had a diff experience in England...I thought the classes were hella easy...and I took Jr/Sr level classes.

Definitely do it! If its something you want to do, don't miss out on such an amazing opportunity. I spent a semester in Israel and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I have to take one summer class to catch back up, but it was sooo worth it!

I actually had a diff experience in England...I thought the classes were hella easy...and I took Jr/Sr level classes.
Oh yeah, this reminded me - watch what classes you sign up for. I registered in 2 classes that were cross-listed as graduate classes. The first one had some 35 people and only 3 were grad students. They were given extra assignments separate from the whole class. The second one, however, had about 20 people, and there were only 2 undergrads there including me. The prof gave us the same assigments as he did to the grad students (10-page paper every week + 60-page final paper). He also kept giving "optional" reading in Japanese which was completely incomprehensible even to the Japanese people in my class, and while he claimed it was "optional," you really couldn't get an A in the class no matter how hard you tried without doing it. So us two lone undergrads really had a hard time there, and to top it off, it doesn't even show up on my transcript as a grad-level course.:thumbdown:

Wow thanks to everybody who put in a reply. After this I'd probably be a little bit crazy to not go abroad. Sounds like an excellent route and thanks again.

do it do it do it! One of the greatest experiences of my life. Depending on what you got going on, i would suggest doing it sooner rather than later, so you can have a year left at your home university to make sure you've finished up everything and stuff.