studying and depression

jesse14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
Toronto
  1. DPT / OTD
    Hello,
    i just have a question about school and depression. I think i might have depression and i am finding ever more difficult to study or maintian focus these days. I can gor for like 2 weeks and be 100% ok, but other weeks im burnt out, lazy, and i just cant concentrate. I feel like crap. What can be done about this and if anyone, like me, who wants to get into some kind of medicine and has/is going through the same thing as me, I would like to hear your story too.

Thank you all very much

BlueMagpie

Meladori
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 12, 2004
    The Interstitium
      jesse14, I would urge you to speak to a professional about this. They'll be able to help you figure out whether or not you're clinically depressed and then you'll be able to go on from there.

Many schools have free counseling programs, you should check to see if yours does ASAP. Don't let this ruin your schoolwork and your self esteem.

I wish you the best. :)

funshine

at the fateful hour
      10+ Year Member
      Oct 11, 2004
        jesse14 said:
        Hello,
        i just have a question about school and depression. I think i might have depression and i am finding ever more difficult to study or maintian focus these days. I can gor for like 2 weeks and be 100% ok, but other weeks im burnt out, lazy, and i just cant concentrate. I feel like crap. What can be done about this and if anyone, like me, who wants to get into some kind of medicine and has/is going through the same thing as me, I would like to hear your story too.

Thank you all very much

Hey,

I've been thru this before, so I can relate. Honestly, there is no easy way to get out of depression, and even now, I still struggle with it. I'd recommend seeing a counselor at least once, NOT because she is going to give you any advice you don't already know, but because it'll be nice to complain honestly and talk exclusively about yourself and all your problems to a person. And I find that once you get everything out, you'll find that your problems were not so major after all. It seems like you are suffering from mild depression, nothing to panic about. I agree though, that depression can be distracting as hell. Join some clubs where you get to interact with people, and esp. kids--i.e. tutoring, community service, orchestra, sports. Stay away from activities where you know there'll be super-competitive or superficial annoyingly chippery people. I know that when you're depressed, you don't feel like doing any of the above, but you have to force yourself to do it. Then, you'll feel much better about it afterward.

Whenever you feel lonely, go out and spend time with friends. There have been instances when I just showed up on my friend's doorstep b/c I was feeling so down I couldn't stand to be by myself anymore. They'll understand. If you don't have friends close enough to do this, then it's even more important for you to join activities to make you as busy as possible. Also, it's really important to exercise. Even if you don't like running, at least go out for nice long walks.

I hope this helps. One more thing. I don't know if you're religious, but some Christian groups on campus can be extremely nurturing. Many of them offer "personal hours" where you can meet with someone for an hour to go over the Bible (or talk about what you're struggling with, etc.)

FINAL NOTE: When you're depressed, your room is BAD. Especially if you live in a single. BAD BAD BAD. You will just end up wallowing in self-pity. Even if you need to study, GO OUTSIDE to a library, campus center, ANYWHERE except your room.

I really hope you get better. I've been in your position, and I know how awful it feels. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :)

About the Ads

flyingillini

Self Proclaimed Ninja
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Apr 1, 2002
        Urbana, Illinois
          funshine said:
          Hey,

I've been thru this before, so I can relate. Honestly, there is no easy way to get out of depression, and even now, I still struggle with it. I'd recommend seeing a counselor at least once, NOT because she is going to give you any advice you don't already know, but because it'll be nice to complain honestly and talk exclusively about yourself and all your problems to a person. And I find that once you get everything out, you'll find that your problems were not so major after all. It seems like you are suffering from mild depression, nothing to panic about. I agree though, that depression can be distracting as hell. Join some clubs where you get to interact with people, and esp. kids--i.e. tutoring, community service, orchestra, sports. Stay away from activities where you know there'll be super-competitive or superficial annoyingly chippery people. I know that when you're depressed, you don't feel like doing any of the above, but you have to force yourself to do it. Then, you'll feel much better about it afterward.

Whenever you feel lonely, go out and spend time with friends. There have been instances when I just showed up on my friend's doorstep b/c I was feeling so down I couldn't stand to be by myself anymore. They'll understand. If you don't have friends close enough to do this, then it's even more important for you to join activities to make you as busy as possible. Also, it's really important to exercise. Even if you don't like running, at least go out for nice long walks.

I hope this helps. One more thing. I don't know if you're religious, but some Christian groups on campus can be extremely nurturing. Many of them offer "personal hours" where you can meet with someone for an hour to go over the Bible (or talk about what you're struggling with, etc.)

FINAL NOTE: When you're depressed, your room is BAD. Especially if you live in a single. BAD BAD BAD. You will just end up wallowing in self-pity. Even if you need to study, GO OUTSIDE to a library, campus center, ANYWHERE except your room.

I really hope you get better. I've been in your position, and I know how awful it feels. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :)

I can attest to that. Stay out of your room, go to the library to study if you are depressed.

jesse14

10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 29, 2004
          Toronto
          1. DPT / OTD
            flyingillini said:
            I can attest to that. Stay out of your room, go to the library to study if you are depressed.

thanks for all the reply's. I've just booked my first appoinment with the school psychologist to see why i feel the way i feel. I do try and exercise because i usually feel better afterwards. As far as seeing friends when im depressed ..........i think im the oppsite. When my depression is at its worst (Now) i feel like i don't want to talk to anyone (even my g/f or closest friends). I like being alone so i dont have to deal with other ppl who couldn't and dont understand how i feel at times. I hope seeing the psychologist helps because the way i feel sucks and its draining me

Syranope2

10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 21, 2004
            Colorado
              jesse - i also have been in this situation. before i was diagnosed, there was a point in my life when i realized that i couldn't remember what it was like to be happy. that got me in to see a doctor. i've been taking medicine for almost 6 years now, which keeps things mostly under control, but sometimes i can feel a bout of depression coming on. i can tell because i get very tired and want to sleep all the time and because i become completely anti-social. i don't want to see or be with anyone. it is soooooo hard when you feel like this to get out and see people, but it helps sooooo much. even if it's just forcing yourself to go see a movie with your girlfriend or go to dinner with some kids from school, it will perk you up a little. and keep exercising. i think that's the number one thing that can pull me out of a slump.

it's good that you're going to see someone. depression, especially the mildish depression that it seems like you have, is very common, and can be treated pretty effectively. there's no reason you should have to go on feeling like this. best of luck...

Without Wax

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 29, 2005
                jesse14 said:
                Hello,

Thank you all very much

Hi Jess, I hope you feel better, I have two solutions for you.
                Drop eveything you are doing now, no more studying and

1/ get laid. get girls

2/get a job or join a club. No matter what you do , just keep busy, do something other than studying to spend time, so that you stop feeling terrible

Runtita

Goddess on the Move
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Apr 28, 2003
                Don't call me Mrs. Cheney
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  1. Get some exercise- preferably outside in the sun.
                  2. Take regular study breaks- use a timer if you have to.
                  3. Do something completely fun and not related to school at least once every couple of days, even if it's reading a novel for 15 minutes.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jun 27, 2004
                  1. Medical Student
                    jesse14 said:
                    thanks for all the reply's. I've just booked my first appoinment with the school psychologist to see why i feel the way i feel. I do try and exercise because i usually feel better afterwards. As far as seeing friends when im depressed ..........i think im the oppsite. When my depression is at its worst (Now) i feel like i don't want to talk to anyone (even my g/f or closest friends). I like being alone so i dont have to deal with other ppl who couldn't and dont understand how i feel at times. I hope seeing the psychologist helps because the way i feel sucks and its draining me

actually i agree with you; when i'm depressed i don't want to talk to anyone either. I don't want to bring others down; and don't want anyone to know i'm depressed; i'd just rather not talk about it; i went thru a period of extreme panic attacks and i'd literally have to walk away from whatever i was doing when it it me. The best thing i ever did was talk to a psychiatrist and get properly treated and get meds for when i really need it. I used to think there was a stigma associated with it but i'd rather feel normal and happy.

Seedars

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Feb 1, 2005
                    SF, CA
                      :thumbup: I'm not trying to sound like a tag-along, but from reading all the posts in this thread, everybody has been giving great advice. I went through the same thing when I was a sophomore undergrad. I have to say it got pretty serious. I lost a lot of "friends" because of it and I really lost myself. Talking to someone professional about it was the best thing I ever did. Not because they had any answers that I didn't already know, but it was the validation that a. I'm not crazy and b. I'm not the only one that's gone through this. I think one of the biggest steps for me was to realize that this was part of my personality and figuring out how to incoroporate it into my overall being in a productive way. Let's be honest, no one is perfect and we all have our faults, it's how we deal with it and allow ourselves to be ourselves that's important. Knowing that can make it a lot better. It has, at least, in my case.

Congrats for owning it and having the strength to confront it. That's usually the hardest part. And I feel confident in saying (after reading a lot of people's post on this site) that you have support here.

Keep up the good fight!

v-tach

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Aug 29, 2004
                        Without Wax said:
                        Hi Jess, I hope you feel better, I have two solutions for you.
                        Drop eveything you are doing now, no more studying and

1/ get laid. get girls

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with that piece of advice. You'll only end up feeling worse after that.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jun 27, 2004
                        1. Medical Student
                          v-tach said:
                          Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with that piece of advice. You'll only end up feeling worse after that.

i agree. If you have a significant other, confide in her and it may help for awhile but eventually you need to seek professional help.

great verse, v-tach :thumbup:

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.