Studying early morning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kinis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a new MS1 and all lectures this year start at 08h, and I live not too far from the campus. So I'm considering waking up during the week at 5.00h and studying hard before lectures, which will probably mean I can get some non-academic activities done in the evenings. Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has done/does this and if they've found it effective or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't stand studying at night so I do all of my studying between 6am-6pm. We've had one test in each class already this semester and I think the latest I've studied is 7:30pm. I know a lot of people post up in the library all afternoon and late into the night, but I assume I am just more focused when I am studying than they are. If you can get your stuff done during the morning and afternoon then I see no reason why you can't do relaxing and fun activities every night.

So I'm a new MS1 and all lectures this year start at 09h, and I live literally next door to the med building. So I'm considering waking up during the week at 5.30h and studying hard before lectures, which will probably mean I can get some non-academic activities done in the evenings. Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has done/does this and if they've found it effective or not?

Plenty of people do it. Try it for yourself. I personally couldn't do it for 2 reasons. I'm already not a morning person and I watch a lot of sports and many times games end after midnight in the east

Just wake up when your cognitive function is best, study until you're done, watch the lectures on video, sleep and repeat.

Studying in the morning is great, especially really early like you said. I like working before/as the sun gets up - makes me feel efficient and by the time noon rolls around I've already accomplished a lot. If you can get into this schedule, it has many benefits.

Early morning studying is awesome. Once you wake up that is.

Try it. If you like it, continue. If it doesn't, enjoy your early-morning sleep.

Simple enough. There is nothing inherently better about studying at 6am vs. 6pm -- just depends on when you're most focused.

Just to add that if you are able to make this work you will have a much easier time transitioning to third year where a lot of days will start at 5 AM.

I'm a big fan of this. When I had to go to anatomy lab, most of my studying had to be done at night and I wasn't as effective.

The next semester, I skipped most classes and was finished studying for the day before noon on most days.

Now I go to class, so most morning studying isn't an option anymore but I'll get stuff done in the afternoon and early evening.

Try it. If you like it, continue. If it doesn't, enjoy your early-morning sleep.

Simple enough. There is nothing inherently better about studying at 6am vs. 6pm -- just depends on when you're most focused.

I personally found that I focused better in the morning when studying for step 1.

however, I have heard that you remember stuff best if you study it just before you go to sleep since it gives your mind time to process and organize the info. That's just what I've heard in the past.

regardless, OP, realize that you will not be able to do this 3rd year for most, if not all, your rotations so you will have to study at night then while waking up early...

I personally found that I focused better in the morning when studying for step 1.

however, I have heard that you remember stuff best if you study it just before you go to sleep since it gives your mind time to process and organize the info. That's just what I've heard in the past.

regardless, OP, realize that you will not be able to do this 3rd year for most, if not all, your rotations so you will have to study at night then while waking up early...

Wait, people study during third year?? :)

I studied in the morning second year, but I skipped class all the time and didn't get up until 8-8:30 or so. Studying before class sounds doable but also sort of miserable. You're forcing yourself into a schedule that nobody else keeps, and that can suck for your social life.
Wait, people study during third year??
Except for 3-4 days before shelf exams, I certainly didn't.

So I'm a new MS1 and all lectures this year start at 09h, and I live literally next door to the med building. So I'm considering waking up during the week at 5.30h and studying hard before lectures, which will probably mean I can get some non-academic activities done in the evenings. Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has done/does this and if they've found it effective or not?
I don't do it at 5:30, but I do study in the mornings. It's great, it's one of my best times.

Regardless of WHEN I wake up, studying shortly after is almost always the most productive study time I'll have most days.

Morning study is great, If you study at midnight, It will make you sleepy in the morning.