Studying for biochem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if there are some specific studying methods to biochem.

So far for science classes (pre-reqs) it has always been "do 1,001 problems till you throw up" type of studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you have done up until now to succeed in your other classes will do just fine for biochem as well. It also depends entirely on which biochem class you take. Some classes require you to know the mechanisms of the reactions while others just require knowledge of the intermediates and such. Much like orgo it's just a class you don't want to fall behind in, but really I found it to be a lot of memorization.

Repetition is definitely the mother of your skill when it comes to biochem. You really just gotta keep hacking away at it. What worked well for me though was using white boards and dry erase markers to draw out all the pathways (but I'm very much a visual learner, so if that's not your style, that might not work so well).

Members don't see this ad :)
For biochem, I reviewed the notes everyday after class. Then, I would try to reorganize teh information in a way that made sense to me.

For example, when we learned about all the different names for different lipid-derivatives, i drew out a big "family tree" of lipids.

Also practice drawing sequences of reactions (ex, glycolysis, etc) on a dry erase board. Rewrite it until you've got everything about glycolysis on teh board written in a way that makes sense (taking random tidbits that your teacher might ahve mentioned about glycolysis mixed in w/ notes on other sections). Then I would take several sheets of white paper, tpae the sides together, and redraw my perfect rxn sequence or cycle or whatever on the sheet of paper.

I hope that helps!

Heres a little something to help you remember the citric acid cycle:
"Can I Keep Selling Sex For Money Officer?"
Citrate
Isocitrate
(alpha)-Ketoglutarate
Succinyl Coa
Succinate
Fumarate
Malate
Oxaloacetate

And for biochem, try to understand what you are memorizing and what is going on. That will ultimately help you recall things very well.

Heres a little something to help you remember the citric acid cycle:
"Can I Keep Selling Sex For Money Officer?"
Citrate
Isocitrate
(alpha)-Ketoglutarate
Succinyl Coa
Succinate
Fumarate
Malate
Oxaloacetate

And for biochem, try to understand what you are memorizing and what is going on. That will ultimately help you recall things very well.

Definitely agree. Keeping sight of the big picture was an absolutely essential ingredient to my success in the course.

Anyone try to use a voice recorder to make notes after class and listen to them later on?

How does that work out?

I'm in a biochem class right now that is video and audio recorded each day by my school. I go back and listen to all the lectures again and love the ability to hear the profs explanation again. This is a big help for me. I recommend trying the recording yourself and see how it works for you.

I also like to re-draw the patterns of pathways--e.g. glycolysis or fatty acid synthesis. I find a mix of pathyway drawing for the big picture stuff and flashcards for the pure memorization, plus review with a study group pre-exam has helped me alot. Biochem, much like orgo is not a class that you should cram for at the last minute!

Hey guys, I was wondering if there are some specific studying methods to biochem.

So far for science classes (pre-reqs) it has always been "do 1,001 problems till you throw up" type of studying.

This sounds like medschool to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you do, or however you study, just don't throw up.

i studied for biochem by drawing the pathways over and over again

What you guys are describing sounds like the second part of the biochem series here at UC San Diego....metabolic biochem. I'm currently taking the first quarter of the series which is "structural biochem". How relevant is this class for med school or the metabolic biochem?

Thanks.

What you guys are describing sounds like the second part of the biochem series here at UC San Diego....metabolic biochem. I'm currently taking the first quarter of the series which is "structural biochem". How relevant is this class for med school or the metabolic biochem?

Thanks.
Same here. But biochem is my major so we started with structural, not we're doing metabolic. I have nucleic acid next year.

Structural is going to set the foundation for metabolic. You can't study proteins, enzymes, active sites, or intermediates without knowing what they are.

I'm lucky enough that we're going over all of this "stuff" now so I don't have to review it as heavily for the MCAT, phew.

Structural was last quarter for me, this quarter is information metabolism ;D

My biochem class just started yesterday, so I don't know for sure how good this method is, but an actual assignment of ours for the semester is everyone in the class must come up with at least 14 mnemonic devices. Our professor then set up a wikipedia like webpage for us to all post our devices on so that we can all learn from each others'. I thought it sounded like a great idea and in heavy duty memorization classes I've always found mnemonic devices very useful. Just my 2 cents.

The key to using problem-solving in terms of study and mastery of your science coursework is to understand both the mechanism of the problem and the theory/concept that is being questioned. Thus, solving problems is not particularly a bad method of study.

Problem-solving should not be your only means of study. Most coursework can be mastered by good organization. The keys to course organization begin with your course syllabus and grading evaluations. You should have a clear understanding of your instructor's expectations and how you are being evaluated.

In addition, your instructor should be the best source of information in terms of course mastery. This means that you need to take advantage of office hours in terms of getting your questions answered and when problems arise. Sitting back and saying " I just need to study more" or "I will study with my friends" may not be a great way to get what you need if you have problems mastering your coursework.

If you don't do as well on a test/exercise as you believe you should have, see your instructor first and then see how you can alter your study methods to best meet the needs of the course. It also doesn't hurt to go in for a little "knowledge-check" with the professor even if you are doing well. This helps them get to know you and makes for getting that letter of recommendation much easier down the road should the need arise.

The key to using problem-solving in terms of study and mastery of your science coursework is to understand both ...

Thanks, you're the best!

My biochem class just started yesterday, so I don't know for sure how good this method is, but an actual assignment of ours for the semester is everyone in the class must come up with at least 14 mnemonic devices. Our professor then set up a wikipedia like webpage for us to all post our devices on so that we can all learn from each others'. I thought it sounded like a great idea and in heavy duty memorization classes I've always found mnemonic devices very useful. Just my 2 cents.

Got the link?

i just drew the mechanisms out a ton of times (glucose to CO2). also, make flshcards for all the protein terminology.

we also had to know a lot of carb/lipid structures. again, draw out tons of times

I use mnemonics. Ones that no one would consider useful probably. For example the aliphatic AA = GAVLIM P aromatic = PTT and polar = STAG HC LA GAsp. Hows that for an awesome mnemonic?

I use mnemonics. Ones that no one would consider useful probably. For example the aliphatic AA = GAVLIM P aromatic = PTT and polar = STAG HC LA GAsp. Hows that for an awesome mnemonic?

Do those words mean anything? I find it MUCH easier to remember if I have alittle story that relates the mnemonic to what it stands for. I'm ashamed of alot of them, & wouldn't tell anyone. But as long as they stick easily w/ something I already know, I add them to my massive Word Document for each subject lately. Review the lists every once in while & I remember it forever.

e.g. for Biochem structure of some monosacharrides I had to spit out fast:

toying w/ the idea of liking shemales:
-I already knew Glucose is (right,left,right,right); this is 'sweet' ideal person.
-Mannose: a 'man' would be sweet if he had sex change at C2 (upstairs).
-Galactose: a 'gal' would be sweet if she had sex change at C4 (downstairs).

or lactose would a 'gal's 'glu' ; ie her milk.

Creating these comes almost instantly with enough practice. Boring repetition would be last resort.