Studying for the Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kateortamar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a collection of success stories for those who have either passed the boards or know of other people's successful board passing study curriculum.

Please respond addressing length of time for study, study resources, courses taken, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read Geyer's Neurology For The Boards, Borsody's Comprehensive Board Review in Neurology, and Souayah's Specialty Board Review:Neurology (question book).

I studied for around an hour a day during the week for a couple of months before the test. I took no classes. I didn't find the test to be very difficult, the questions were mostly very reasonable, and on test day you certainly have WAY more time to take it than you'll likely need. I was out before noon on a supposedly all-day test. I felt like I must have missed a section. I passed, and in reviewing my scores, I likely over-studied. There are no gold stars for a high score, you just need to pass the damn thing.

By the way, I always found the RITE exam to be pretty ridiculous, and while I did OK on it, I was never like the top of my class or anything. I think the RITE is helpful in that if you do horribly on it, you are at risk of failing the boards, but if you do just OK, you're more than fine.

Hope this is helpful.

Are you a PGY2, 3, 4? I'm with T-gator the RITE is much more difficult. I agree with Geyer Neurology for the Boards. It seemed like a lot of psych, I'm not sure how I could have studied for that though. I did pretty well on the RITE so I didn't spend a lot of extra time studying for the boards. I have not heard about correlation between RITE and Board results, the tests are so different.

Studying for the RITE during residency is the best way to prepare. The best way to study for the RITE is to look at old tests and RITE image books. The RITE was humbling, the boards was a pleasant experience in comparison. I don't think I answered your specific questions, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
There supposedly is a correlation between RITE performance and board passing.

Goodman JC et al. RITE performance predicts outcome on the APBN Part I examination. Neurology. 2002;58(8):1144-1146

It makes sense that people who do horrible on the RITE fail the boards, which could have more to do with test taking, personal issues, or language barriers than actual knowledge. But I don't think the correlation holds very well beyond that. Of course, this article was written by the AAN, who has a vested interest in making programs purchase the RITE exam every year...not to be cynical or anything.

"Laughing your way to passing the neurology boards" by Amy McGregor saved my life!!!!!

neuroprep.com is a helpful study guide too.

Hey where do you study for cases in part B . Are those easy?

Thanx

I didn't study anything specific for part B. It isn't super-easy, but it is very straightforward, and the cases are pretty clearly set up. It takes a little while to get used to not being able to go back once you've answered the question.

I didn't study anything specific for part B. It isn't super-easy, but it is very straightforward, and the cases are pretty clearly set up. It takes a little while to get used to not being able to go back once you've answered the question.

Part B? I was under the impression that the entire board is a multiple-choice test. What is this Part B you speak of?

Perhaps this is a simple-minded question...but no one has ever mentioned this to me before and I take the board in September.

is there a good question bank for the neuro boards?

I looked up Geyer's Neurology for the boards. it's a 2002 edition?! that seems pretty old. is it still good?