Studying for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mantraman1010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to SDNers

I am brand new to the pre-dents forum, switched over from pre-med. Anyways I was planning on taking my DATs towards the end of Jan. and maybe retake if needed before applying in May. I just wanted to ask if about two month of rigor studying during the winter break would be enough to get a decent score on the DAT. I am currently taking Biochem and Genetics which I guess kind of help to review for the test. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to SDNers

I am brand new to the pre-dents forum, switched over from pre-med. Anyways I was planning on taking my DATs towards the end of Jan. and maybe retake if needed before applying in May. I just wanted to ask if about two month of rigor studying during the winter break would be enough to get a decent score on the DAT. I am currently taking Biochem and Genetics which I guess kind of help to review for the test. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Yes.

jb!

Welcome.

Yes, two months of good studying should be enough to prepare you for a good DAT score. In additon to studying from your text books, you will probably want to get some more DAT specific guided help. I would suggest getting the Top Score DAT CD for some accurate practice tests. You may also want to pick up the Kaplan DAT blue book for some help on the individual sections. Also, if you feel like you need more indepth help on preparing you may want to consider the Kaplan DAT class. Its expensive but worthwhile if you learn better in a structured environment and you need someone to help you through the sections. No need to take the class though if you feel like you already have a solid understanding of your sciences or you feel like you can learn better through books.

Also, since you are new to pre-dents I suggest you get a copy of the Official guide to dental schools from the ADEA to get a better idea of what schools to apply to and what requirements you still may need to fulfill. And, if you haven't already, you'll want to get some dental shadowing experiences in during the next year before you apply so you know what you're getting into and to help your appication.

Good luck.