Studying for the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

athleticdpt15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to do better on the GRE? I have taken it twice and have scored -142/143 on both sections. I have done well on the writing portion. I am taking it again this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought Magoosh and when that didn’t stick I paid for a local cc to re-take Algebra 2 (I last took it over 10 hrs ago).

I highly recommend even doing a trial of Magoosh online.

Reactions: 1 user
Any suggestions on how to do better on the GRE? I have taken it twice and have scored -142/143 on both sections. I have done well on the writing portion. I am taking it again this summer.

I tried Magoosh and I felt like that helped me! It kept me on a study schedule and I believe it improved my score by 8ish points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Magoosh and improved my score about 10 points.

I used Magoosh’s online study plan as well. Definitely recommend as long as you can be disciplined enough to follow one of their study plans. The plans have video tutorials for all GRE subject areas, practice questions & practice tests. They helped me get the score I needed.

I had the same issue with verbal part. It helped me a little bit to time myself while practicing. Also try to figure out the easiest way for yourself to answer text questions: reading entire text and then look at answers vs looking through answers and then reading the text and trying to answer the already expected questions as you are reading. Finding synonyms and matching words I have never heard of and never will never made sense to me and still doesn't, so I chose not to spend much time on that part (other than maybe recognizing/guessing the meaning of the word based on the word root) and focused on text questions which at least made sense (for the most part lol).
By doing that I went up from 139 -> 141 -> 147. But there was really nothing else I could do to go higher.
For math part, you just need to solve more problems. The more you solve, the more repetitions you do, the faster you get. Again, time yourself.
Get as many tests samples as you can. use older GRE books (can get them for free in public libraries).

I improved my score by 9 points which may not seem like a lot (ended up with a 153V/155Q), but I had only two months between each try. I think if you have more, then you can probably improve more! I just cranked out a bunch of practice tests, there isn't really anything to study or learn, just lots of practice. Like the person above, I didn't find any point in memorizing hundreds of words and their synonyms, but focused more on the sentence completion and reading comprehension parts. For the part, just try not to trick yourself into thinking you have all the math concepts down! It can be deceiving (i did really well on the practice math sections, but the real test was more critical thinking/problem solving and less algebra).

Status
Not open for further replies.