Studying for the GRE's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kushkeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling very unintelligent at the moment. My math skills are extremely rusty. Even after reviewing I'm still having trouble doing basic algebra equations. It seemed a lot easier in highschool. And the psychology part? I'm wishing I had taken some of the courses I passed over during my undergrad. I just finished reviewing the Physio Psych portion of the Kaplan book and wow do I feel lost.

Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed by the GRE's? I keep thinking my anxiety will be reduced if I put myself to work and keep on studying each day. But the anxiety is only getting worse. What if I completely bomb these exams? What if I study a ton and still suck?

I guess if I get at the root of the problem it's that I'm afraid of failure all the way around. The GRE's is just getting at the peripheral surface of my deep fear that i don't have what it takes to make it in this field. Is anyone else feeling as fearful of failing as I?

Members don't see this ad.

The application process is designed to make you question your intelligence on a daily basis. Someone should do a study on this :)
Relax, you'll be fine. We've been there too.

I bought the Princeton book and the ETS book. I haven't even looked at math yet...verbal is too important (plus I just finished calculus last quarter so I'm thinking I may be OK). I had originally planned to dedicate 1 hour per day 7 days a week, but it's just not working. Princeton has an 8 week plan to follow, and I've been on week one reviewing vocab for about 3 weeks now. Originally thought I would do test in mid September, but now pushing it back to early October with the subject in mid-November.
I wouldn't stress out too badly.....take the practice tests and assess yourself that way. If your practice scores are coming in too low then keep studying until you know you're ready.
Many people say the subject can be studied in about 4-6 weeks so since that's not til November why freak out about it now? Learn the vocab and brush up your math skills now, and stress about the subject one in late September :)
Just my 2 cents, but since I'm only studying for them now maybe I'm no help.
I have had friends take both and they said about 2-3 months was good enough for GRE and about 4 weeks was good for subject. Everyone is different....just go at your own pace...and remember that the general test is scored faster than the subject so you can always take the general after the subject (just don't wait too late).