Studying for the new MCAT: amount of time, prep course, study plan, general advices?

Started by jolielq
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jolielq

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

After graduation from college, I plan on studying for the new MCAT, starting in late December 2015, and take the MCAT in May, 2016. Assuming that I will be studying full time from January to April, while taking a Princeton Review MCAT prep course, will I have enough time to get ready to take the official MCAT in May, 2016?

My second question is for those of you who have had experiences with MCAT prep courses. While studying full time, which option works better: having classes M,T,W,Th or T, Th, S ( assuming both options give you the same class hours)?

I truly appreciate any responses or comments on my questions. Studying for the new MCAT is a stressful process, and I just want do the best I can to get ready for it. I would also appreciate any other advice for studying for the MCAT. Thanks a lot!!
 
Five months should be enough if you're reasonably familiar with the material, which you should be, having taken it fairly recently.
 
Five months should be enough if you're reasonably familiar with the material, which you should be, having taken it fairly recently.

I think I will start review some concepts in bio, chem, and physics this upcoming fall semester, but I am not familiar with sociology, psychology, biochem, and verbal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Err... if you study FULL TIME for 6 months, you should do fine. The biggest thing with the mcat is to do tons of timed practice passages and review them hardcore.
 
Studying full time for five months is alot easier said than done and frankly after a while has diminishing returns. 2-3 months if serious committed full time studying is ideal.

I think for me, it will take a lot of time to review all the subjects because I focus a lot on details. How long did you spend on studying for the MCAT?