studying for verbal with Dr. Collins and Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, I took the kaplan course this winter and wrote the pcat. while everything eles was good, the verbal ability really brought my mark down by a LOT. I plan on taking the exam again in august and i purchased dr. collins since everyone says its useful. my question tho is, since I have the list of over 2000 words from kaplan, do you guys think I should try to memorize them or should i wait till dr. Collins's material arrives and study from Dr. Collins instead? please give me some ideas on how to improve on verbal!! would memorizing the most common PCAT words be useful?

Members don't see this ad.

use both!

dr.colin helps you in terms of PCAT specific words
kaplan helps you in terms of practice

do multiple times even if you think you know the answer already.
good luck!

Last edited:
use both!

dr.colin helps you in terms of PCAT specific words
kaplan helps you in terms of practice

do multiple times even if you think you know the answer already.
good luck!
thanks horrorboy, do u think i should even try memorizing all 2000 words kaplan gave me? i haven't gotten my dr. collins book yet but how does he prepare you for verbal ability? thanks!:)

lol Dr. Collins verbal is probably (by far) the best way to prep for the verbal section of the PCAT. This is because he actually gives you analogies that have appeared on recent PCAT's (I don't know how he even does it but ya). Memorize the list inside out, then do Top 500 SAT terms, learn some prefixes or whatever and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks horrorboy, do u think i should even try memorizing all 2000 words kaplan gave me? i haven't gotten my dr. collins book yet but how does he prepare you for verbal ability? thanks!:)

dont bother memorizing kaplan's 2000 words.
you may see 1-3 words from their list.

the best way to prep is to keep praticing finding a relationship between words...i cant emphasize this enough. pcat words are not super difficult.

if you feel that you need to know more words, study the words from newspaper. it will help you in setence completion !

is it true that Dr. Collin's verbal ability is very similar to the real pcat? I took the kaplan course and i did all their excercises. i realized that i didn't know a lot ofthe words so i tried to memorize all the words they gave me but hat wasn't even possible.. so i'm waiting for Dr. Collins' package to come and i just wanna know how similar his notes are compared to the real exam so i know how much i should study from kaplan and how much from DR. Collins. Thanks!!!

Can anyone provide a link as to where you can purchase this guide? I've been Google searching with no real answers to where it can be purchased at.

Would you recommend it for any other portion of the PCAT?

Thanks!!

I have taken the Kaplan course and have taken the the Pearson review test #3. After words I looked up every word in the word analogy section and compared it to the Kaplan word bank. Out of 30 questions there were about 5 that I would have answered correctly, if I had memorized that list. For those of you who do not know that IS a lot on a scaled score. Approximately 10% increase on the composite scaled score. So is it worth it... I think so, but to each there own.

I have taken the Kaplan course and have taken the the Pearson review test #3. After words I looked up every word in the word analogy section and compared it to the Kaplan word bank. Out of 30 questions there were about 5 that I would have answered correctly, if I had memorized that list. For those of you who do not know that IS a lot on a scaled score. Approximately 10% increase on the composite scaled score. So is it worth it... I think so, but to each there own.

So studying 2k words is paramount to only 5/30 questions? And there are 48 questions on the actual exam by the way.... not exactly a good deal at all.

I was thinking that this information may be relevant to the many pharmacy candidates studying for the PCAT, as that is the topic of this thread. If I helped you to make a good decision regarding the matter than great:) If not I will be terribly disappointed... and I only included the word comparisons, not the sentence completions... but thank you for your thoughts.

I heard Webster's Dictionary is great...focus on page 1 - page 12,000 and you should be fine.

The Cliffs notes verbal ability combined with Dr. Collins is pretty good. The Kaplan book was pretty useless in terms of studying for Verbal ability.

You can find GRE word lists, which are used in Dr. Collins and Cliffs notes by a quick google. Here's one list you can just paste into a Word document and make into study cards.

http://www.graduateshotline.com/list.html

EDIT: Here's a link to the download for the PDF file of the Cliffs Notes practice tests that I used: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281877

Last edited:
Can anyone provide a link as to where you can purchase this guide? I've been Google searching with no real answers to where it can be purchased at.

Would you recommend it for any other portion of the PCAT?

Thanks!!

Hi,
I've just taken my PCAT on Jan. 11th. No too bad. 70s. I used Dr. Collins guide.

Here is the link to Dr. Collins Self Study Guide since they do have classes in Las Vegas.

http://www.pcatprepclass.com/

The self study guide cost me $350.

I'm also selling my study guide for $170 with 2011 updates. You can purchase the 2012 updates for $20 (I'm not sure they have one out yet).

I am not retaking the test since 70s are enough for a lot of schools.