Studying help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufcfanatic1997

Reaction score
I am planning on taking the MCAT next May and applying next cycle. I will be working 40 hours a week (4 x10 hour days and 3 days off).

I currently have The Berkley review books and a few exam crackers books. I also plan on using Khan academy videos for help with tougher concepts (I am two years removed). Please recommend any other resources I should be using. I am thinking of using Altius.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I should go about studying or just inputs on how they balanced work and studied at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked full-time while studying for the MCAT. Get started on CARS early and do 1-2 passages from KA or JW everyday to practice timing rather than understanding their logic. In my case, I studied every work day for about 2-3 hours reviewing and doing practice problems after dinner. I spent the entire Saturday dedicated to drilling weak sections or doing FL’s for about 8 hour. Sunday = sabbath and just hung out with friends or played video games to relax my brain. Did this for about 4-5 months and got the score I wanted.

Reactions: 1 users
Due to your situation -- working 4 10s each week, doing some sort of organized program would for sure be tough. A couple other resources that I'd suggest is UWorld -- really good practice problems for not too much money. Altius has a lot of different programs and some tutoring options available that could be useful once you figure out where you're lacking. I would for sure recommend getting all the Altius full length exams to sprinkle in every few weeks as you study. They are good tests and don't break the bank. The earlier you start, the better off you'll be since it will be way hard to study the days you work 10 hours.

I worked full-time while studying for the MCAT. Get started on CARS early and do 1-2 passages from KA or JW everyday to practice timing rather than understanding their logic. In my case, I studied every work day for about 2-3 hours reviewing and doing practice problems after dinner. I spent the entire Saturday dedicated to drilling weak sections or doing FL’s for about 8 hour. Sunday = sabbath and just hung out with friends or played video games to relax my brain. Did this for about 4-5 months and got the score I wanted.

How much time did you dedicate to content review? and what resources did you use for content review? I have the Berkley Review books, a few EC books, and Kaplan flash cards. I am a visual learner so I plan on using a lot of Khan videos, and anki to keep track of material.

Due to your situation -- working 4 10s each week, doing some sort of organized program would for sure be tough. A couple other resources that I'd suggest is UWorld -- really good practice problems for not too much money. Altius has a lot of different programs and some tutoring options available that could be useful once you figure out where you're lacking. I would for sure recommend getting all the Altius full length exams to sprinkle in every few weeks as you study. They are good tests and don't break the bank. The earlier you start, the better off you'll be since it will be way hard to study the days you work 10 hours.

Yes the 4 10s will be difficult. However, I should be able to dedicate 2-3 hours per day on those work days. With that said, I do plan on studying 6-7 hours on the other 3 days I am not working. Also, I am hoping since I wouldn't be taking the MCATs until next May, that should be enough time to get prepared. If I wanted to apply next cycle, when would it be ideal to have me MCAT done by? (when would be the latest I can take it but still be within a good time frame to apply).

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent about the first two and a half months on content review only, using Kaplan 7-book review and KA videos.

I spent about the first two and a half months on content review only, using Kaplan 7-book review and KA videos.

Do you know when it would be ideal to take the MCATs by if I want to apply next cycle? What's the latest I can do, and still be within a good time frame to apply?

Just take the test when you feel like you're ready. Preferably before AMCAS submission opens, which is around early June eveyr year. Most importantly, take the test only when you feel ready and have scored within your desired range of AAMC FL's.

Out of curiosity, what was your score for the MCAT?