Studying O-Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansen44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys study o-chem? When I took the courses they were mostly memorizing reactions, mechanisms, stuff like that. I consistently get around 50% of the questions right on the o-chem passages which is not good, I find that relating the million reactions I know isn't everything I need inorder to do well on the passages. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to do well in this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys study o-chem? When I took the courses they were mostly memorizing reactions, mechanisms, stuff like that. I consistently get around 50% of the questions right on the o-chem passages which is not good, I find that relating the million reactions I know isn't everything I need inorder to do well on the passages. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to do well in this subject?

try not studying for it at all, I find that my orgo score increases sometimes when I don't studyt for it. so try try it and see if it helps.

I combined TPR and EK..... tpr eases you into it, EK seems better at showing why something is happening...

Members don't see this ad :)
Learn the basics well like nucleophile and electrophile and SN1 and SN2 and E1 and E2. You need to be able to see where things are going to happen naturally so you do not have to memorize.

Then stereochem, carbohydrates, lab techniques, and spectro, etc

Once you have a good base you can usually figure it out.

But some of it like spectro and techniques you have to memorize.

I would just do the best I could with it. It is not tested as much and next to Physics the hardest to learn for most. Most MCATs have two passages and a few discretes.

There hasn't been much orgo on recent MCATs. I took it on 4/19 and there was only one very simple passage.

I took EK and I think they have the best method of teaching it.

Just get their orgo book and focus on the diagrams.
They simply SN1 vs. SN2 and all that other fun stuff.

I tutored Ochem for 2 semesters after I finished and felt like I was doing fantastic by the end, it helped out a lot... see if you can do some tutoring(For cash), and if not, do it for free, when you have to explain it to someone, a lot of the time it ends up making you solidify it for yourself.