1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Studying O-Chem

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by hansen44, May 6, 2008.

1. hansen44

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do you guys study o-chem? When I took the courses they were mostly memorizing reactions, mechanisms, stuff like that. I consistently get around 50% of the questions right on the o-chem passages which is not good, I find that relating the million reactions I know isn't everything I need inorder to do well on the passages. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to do well in this subject?

2. stupidkid30

Removed

Pre-Medical
    try not studying for it at all, I find that my orgo score increases sometimes when I don't studyt for it. so try try it and see if it helps.

3. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

I combined TPR and EK..... tpr eases you into it, EK seems better at showing why something is happening...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I bought rapid learning subscription so I can be lazy.

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Learn the basics well like nucleophile and electrophile and SN1 and SN2 and E1 and E2. You need to be able to see where things are going to happen naturally so you do not have to memorize.

Then stereochem, carbohydrates, lab techniques, and spectro, etc

Once you have a good base you can usually figure it out.

But some of it like spectro and techniques you have to memorize.

I would just do the best I could with it. It is not tested as much and next to Physics the hardest to learn for most. Most MCATs have two passages and a few discretes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BeardedRunner

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There hasn't been much orgo on recent MCATs. I took it on 4/19 and there was only one very simple passage.

I took EK and I think they have the best method of teaching it.

Just get their orgo book and focus on the diagrams.
    They simply SN1 vs. SN2 and all that other fun stuff.

7. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I tutored Ochem for 2 semesters after I finished and felt like I was doing fantastic by the end, it helped out a lot... see if you can do some tutoring(For cash), and if not, do it for free, when you have to explain it to someone, a lot of the time it ends up making you solidify it for yourself.