Studying one Khan section per day for two months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizabethx89

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to literally learn physics from scratch…you can do so by going to freelance teacher.com and watching his physics videos. They are very in depth, and he breaks everything down to the absolute basics. Khan in my opinion is best for someone who has already taken the course and needs a refresher. However, freelance can literally teach you physics IF you watch the videos ACTIVELY, meaning pause the vids, take notes, solve the problems as he goes. Check him out--he is amazing for physics, genchem and organic.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the suggestion. :) Someone else in the nontrad section suggested freelance teacher as well, but more vouched for Khan. It's so hard to know what to choose and what is most realistic, time-wise, without giving different things a try!
If you haven't taken physics yet, then it is freelance by a long shot. If you had already taken it then I would say either way is okay. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only know MCAT physics. I don't know freelance. Khan Academy MCAT prep is coproduced by AAMC. Khan Academy MCAT Physical Processes covers the physics topics I found on AAMC practice tests at a depth needed to an answer the questions. You might consider using Khan Academy MCAT PP as your primary content tutor and for topics that confuse you fall back to freelance or whatever comprehensive physics tutor you use. Take a few practice tests and see how you fair on the MCAT PS section.

Physics accounts for only about half of the PS section or about 7 of the possible 45 points. Khan Academy MCAT PP is an expedient way of covering the physics you need for MCAT PS. Because AAMC coproduces Khan Academy MCAT PP there is some assurance that the needed topics are covered at the appropriate depth.

Let me know how you progress.

Learning an entire science section on your own without having some basics down (i.e. from taking a class) demands a huge degree of accountability. As it was mentionned, you'll need to watch videos actively, pause them, and rewatch as needed. HOWEVER, I am a big propent of Khan Academy, especially if you are a visual+verbal learner. You'll need to practice what you learn (I recommend TPR science workbook because it's so immense and is high quality), but I think working with Khan Academy will be beneficial and may be able to function as your primary, or maybe even only, content review source. Plan heavily ahead of time though to make sure your watching and subsequent practicing is organized.

Cheers!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a post-bacc aiming to take the current MCAT in January (speaking of which, should I worry about spots filling up since so many people are going to try to take it then? As in, is there a chance I literally won't be able to secure a seat anywhere even if it means traveling an hour or two away?).

The "catch" is I haven't taken organic chemistry or physics yet. I had to take this semester off of school due to financial reasons, so I'm trying to use the extra time to study for the MCAT and hopefully knock it out in January. I realize this is a really nontraditional approach, but I'm trying to avoid having to add more semesters onto my post-bacc to fit in the additional coursework I would need to prepare for the 2015 version. Plus, I think it's more realistic to study now while I can just focus on the MCAT and work than when I go back to school and will have to focus on classes, work, and extracurriculars (I'm going to try to start fitting in a few hours of ECs here and there now but think I'm going to wait until after I take the MCAT to really start putting in the volunteer hours).

I tried teaching myself physics with Kaplan, Nova, and TPR, but having no prior exposure to the material, the process was shaky at best. Now I'm looking at Khan. The videos seem to be thorough enough to give me the foundation I need. I'm wondering if it would be a decent/realistic idea to begin going through one section of Khan a day until I get through all of the chem, o-chem, physics, and bio stuff. I counted that there were 46 sections in total, so that would allow me to get through everything around early November, which would still give me a couple of months to go through all of my notes again and go through some verbal reasoning prep materials (my BA is in English with a minor in psychology, so I'm hoping that I have some semblance of a leg up on this section already, but I'm aware it's a beast!).

Can anyone who has used Khan comment? Is one section a day realistic, or is there just way too much information packed into those videos to do that without burnout/turning homicidal/chopping off my hair?

Me too! I registered the other for a spot 2 hours away from my home, just to have a seat in case. I'm really hoping something opens up closer to me and, despite it being the last administrations, the general trend of tons of spots opening up the closer it gets still happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Khan is awesome! But dont forget book should be #1 priority. I watch his videos to solidify some concepts that I just cant get from the book. If you like videos, be sure to check out coursesaver. They do MCAT specific videos and Chad is pretty great at helping you understand those tricky concepts.

Reactions: 1 users
don't take the mcat before you take ochem, physics, gchem, and intro bio. There should be no debate on this issue.

Try to register for your MCAT as soon as you are allowed. They do fill up.

I didn't expect there to be no locations near me since I've heard people discuss taking the MCAT in a nearby town. Registered for the closest location, which is 2.5 hours away with an 8 a.m. test time. Sounds like a hotel is in store.

Make sure you check your registration email. I think theres a code in it for Hilton Hampton Inn or something for like 5% off the lowest rate room? I'll probably be doing this as well, good luck!