1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Studying one Khan section per day for two months?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Elizabethx89, 09.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Elizabethx89

Elizabethx89 Banned Banned

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 09.23.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you want to literally learn physics from scratch…you can do so by going to freelance teacher.com and watching his physics videos. They are very in depth, and he breaks everything down to the absolute basics. Khan in my opinion is best for someone who has already taken the course and needs a refresher. However, freelance can literally teach you physics IF you watch the videos ACTIVELY, meaning pause the vids, take notes, solve the problems as he goes. Check him out--he is amazing for physics, genchem and organic.

Guero and Janus_Kinase like this.
  4. Elizabethx89

Pre-Medical

5. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you haven't taken physics yet, then it is freelance by a long shot. If you had already taken it then I would say either way is okay. Good luck.

6. santeprof

santeprof If you need a bump, I may be your chump

I only know MCAT physics. I don't know freelance. Khan Academy MCAT prep is coproduced by AAMC. Khan Academy MCAT Physical Processes covers the physics topics I found on AAMC practice tests at a depth needed to an answer the questions. You might consider using Khan Academy MCAT PP as your primary content tutor and for topics that confuse you fall back to freelance or whatever comprehensive physics tutor you use. Take a few practice tests and see how you fair on the MCAT PS section.

Physics accounts for only about half of the PS section or about 7 of the possible 45 points. Khan Academy MCAT PP is an expedient way of covering the physics you need for MCAT PS. Because AAMC coproduces Khan Academy MCAT PP there is some assurance that the needed topics are covered at the appropriate depth.

Let me know how you progress.

7. NextStepTutor_1

NextStepTutor_1 Next Step MCAT Tutor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

SDN
    Exhibitor
    Learning an entire science section on your own without having some basics down (i.e. from taking a class) demands a huge degree of accountability. As it was mentionned, you'll need to watch videos actively, pause them, and rewatch as needed. HOWEVER, I am a big propent of Khan Academy, especially if you are a visual+verbal learner. You'll need to practice what you learn (I recommend TPR science workbook because it's so immense and is high quality), but I think working with Khan Academy will be beneficial and may be able to function as your primary, or maybe even only, content review source. Plan heavily ahead of time though to make sure your watching and subsequent practicing is organized.

Cheers!!

santeprof likes this.
  8. Elizabethx89

Pre-Medical

9. vanillabear55

vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Me too! I registered the other for a spot 2 hours away from my home, just to have a seat in case. I'm really hoping something opens up closer to me and, despite it being the last administrations, the general trend of tons of spots opening up the closer it gets still happens.

Elizabethx89 likes this.
  10. Janus_Kinase

Janus_Kinase 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Khan is awesome! But dont forget book should be #1 priority. I watch his videos to solidify some concepts that I just cant get from the book. If you like videos, be sure to check out coursesaver. They do MCAT specific videos and Chad is pretty great at helping you understand those tricky concepts.

vanillabear55 and Elizabethx89 like this.
  11. tdod

tdod 2+ Year Member

don't take the mcat before you take ochem, physics, gchem, and intro bio. There should be no debate on this issue.

Try to register for your MCAT as soon as you are allowed. They do fill up.

12. Elizabethx89

Pre-Medical

13. vanillabear55

vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Make sure you check your registration email. I think theres a code in it for Hilton Hampton Inn or something for like 5% off the lowest rate room? I'll probably be doing this as well, good luck!

14. Elizabethx89

Pre-Medical

About the ads