studying only using good existing knowledge and EK books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northwestmedic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would someone do on test if they were very good science student, had taken all the prereq courses recently and only studied using EK books?

i.e. any idea what % of questions the person would have little chance? i.e. a named concept that isn't in EK.

my motivation is that reading EK is absolutely fantastic to get through the material but i'm wondering how much is missing....... i don't fit into the question category BTW, but just wondering how comprehensive EK is.
thx advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

here's a perfect example..... kaplan has chapter 1 biology/behaviour as 9% of S/P. two huge sections in the chapter are the brain and development reflexes like babinski and moro....

EK says you can go really easy on knowing the brain specifically (it certainly comes up in passing in many other sections though). basically more like know front/hind/mid and what their very general role is (a few words each).. that's it.

as for babinski and moro, as far as i can tell EK doesn't have them.

and i have checked EK S/P and biology......... the biology book is a few years old. i think the S/P book is current

just don't know whether to trust EK..... googling suggests "yes"

The MCAT deliberately includes information in their passage that is beyond the scope of college premed courses, because it is designed to determine how students apply the principles and facts they did learn in those classes to new and unfamiliar content, as a way of simulating how well a student might apply their premed science/social science principles to medical school material. Our materials review these principles and outline several strategies to apply these concepts to the new information contained in many passages and correctly answer questions. Using the Babinski reflex you mentioned as an example, a specific MCAT passage may indeed be about the Babinski reflex, but the only content a student must "know" is the underlying principle of how archetypal reflex arcs function.

Last edited:
how would someone do on test if they were very good science student, had taken all the prereq courses recently and only studied using EK books?

i.e. any idea what % of questions the person would have little chance? i.e. a named concept that isn't in EK.

my motivation is that reading EK is absolutely fantastic to get through the material but i'm wondering how much is missing....... i don't fit into the question category BTW, but just wondering how comprehensive EK is.
thx advance :)
I'm a fan of using multiple sources for different perspectives. honestly though, if you do EK books and watch all of the Khan Academy videos + the AAMC material, you'll be more than fine.

If you have a strong background in the prerequisite material, review books and practice tests should be more than enough. Personally, I used Kaplan and Khan Academy for content review, but it was the AAMC practice questions and tests that made the biggest difference.