Studying techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted971800

I am an OMS1 and have been feeling really overwhelmed with the content in the first week. I study starting from 8am and end around 12am. Of course I take breaks but I do not have time for much else during my day. I am mainly studying by memorizing powerpoint slides (something I did in undergrad). I am making Anki cards but never have the time to go through them. I just want to know, has anyone here been successful just sticking to powerpoint slides?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an OMS1 and have been feeling really overwhelmed with the content in the first week. I study starting from 8am and end around 12am. Of course I take breaks but I do not have time for much else during my day. I am mainly studying by memorizing powerpoint slides (something I did in undergrad). I am making Anki cards but never have the time to go through them. I just want to know, has anyone here been successful just sticking to powerpoint slides?
At my school, we have found that students who use only PPT do poorly.

Contact your school's learning or education ceneter to find out about studying techniques, time mgt skills, etc.

It's not about brute memorizing...it's about being able to understand and apply.

You're clearly learning that what worked in UG is NOT going to work in med schools, so it's time to shift gears.

And read this:

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend using pre-made Anki decks. I would go through the PowerPoint the first time and unsuspend the matching cards in the Zanki deck, power through Zanki every day until the test, and then just scroll through the powerpoint a second time the day before the test to cram in any lecture-specific minutia that i didn’t need to retain long term.

Anki is amazing, but you shouldn’t be making your own cards. It takes way too long.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to break down the powerpoints by using board prep video resources (Pathoma, Boards and Beyond, Sketchy, etc.)

Watch these videos before running thru the powerpoints or watching class lecs. Make everything a lot easier to synthesize. Powerpoint details can be learned right before exam, but don't lose sight of understanding the overall concept/board relevant information before trying to memorize slides of info.

Anki is a great tool. Use it as you see fit, esp for micro and pharm.
I only made my own cards during dedicated from UW questions. Super helpful.

Reactions: 1 user