studying while on h4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinarose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i;m on h4 visa in the US. i'm in the process of applying to various dental schools. the process of getting a greencard is a long one and very uncertain .
What if after completing my DDS i,m still on h4 and cannot work, how will i repay my loans.what if we've to return back to our home country then what. Is any body else in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi chinarose,

U cannot be on H4 while pursuing your DDS program. U will have to transfer to a students visa (F1) which is a fairly simple process once u get the admission to a DDS program.

After finishing the program, u get 1 full year of OPT visa that allows you to work and look for a job/ employer who will sponsor you H1 and after that the greencard.

So, all this is not very difficult as long as u manage to get a job after finishing your DDS within one year.

Good Luck

Ras2006

hi i;m on h4 visa in the US. i'm in the process of applying to various dental schools. the process of getting a greencard is a long one and very uncertain .
What if after completing my DDS i,m still on h4 and cannot work, how will i repay my loans.what if we've to return back to our home country then what. Is any body else in the same boat.

hi chinarose,,definitely u can persue ur DDS on H4,,after dds u can go for H1,,or if u get ur green card by then or atleast EAD,,then thats it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweetgal
You make it sound so easy. :) Thats it ?

Having looked around some more....
I really do not see a shortage of dentists in the US. So, I am not even sure how easy it is for a dentist to get an H1 - for that matter is it even possible without resorting to something hooky?
Again the premise for employment-based visas - non-immigrant (H1) or immigrant (GC) - is based on a shortage of Americans in that category.
Take a look around & there definitely does not seem to be a shortage of dentists in America. Or am I seeing in the wrong places? ;-)

Sure, getting OPT should be easy....as that is reliant solely on finding a temporary job related to one's field of study. Not sure about the H1 or later the GC.

Anything I am missing here?

hey!
u seem so pesimist. U r not the only 1 in h4 going to school. there are many, while u do ur dds ur husband mite file for gc n then u can get urs 2. If thats not possible u can always convert to F1 weneva u want to.
And about finding job, if u already got into skool then u r 1 lucky gal, so have faith in god he will help u later too.
When people can get H1 job even as DA it shudnt b that difficult for a dentist. If u r still puzzled then I have nothing to say.

Actually there is a shortage of dentists in the US. My friend who jus did his postdoctoral in public health did a thesis on dentists and he says that the baby boomers r retiring and there will definitely be a shortage of dentists for many years to come..so dont worry abt not getting a job!!
A friend of mine who graduated from NYU got so many offers , she was totally confused on which one to take!!
I was observing at a clinic, and I have already been offered a job there once I finish school.
U can definitely study on H4. If ur spouse is not going to apply for GC, then u can convert to F1 and study. If he is applying for GC, u cannot convert ur status to F1 becos it will affect ur GC process.

Once you are done with the school and you need H1 then there are dental groups like westen dental which are willing to hire people on H1 but they have a 3 yr contract.There are also other groups like access dental,bright now, smile care centers who may hire you...not sure if all these can do H1...you got to check with them....all these are located mostly in california....dont know abt other states....

I am H4 too..I will be joining NYU in august for dental hygiene program..does anyone know if I can get H1 sponsorship for dental hygienist jobs after completing 2 year program..Also will I get OPT for 2 year associate dental hygiens program..

hey!
u seem so pesimist. U r not the only 1 in h4 going to school. there are many, while u do ur dds ur husband mite file for gc n then u can get urs 2. If thats not possible u can always convert to F1 weneva u want to.
And about finding job, if u already got into skool then u r 1 lucky gal, so have faith in god he will help u later too.
When people can get H1 job even as DA it shudnt b that difficult for a dentist. If u r still puzzled then I have nothing to say.

hey thats agood news .
but have u come accross or know any dentist who got a h1 sponser?
its gre8 to know tht a da can also geta h1 sponser ... wow
i havent come accross any one