stuff to review as first-year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suds945

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple questions about COMLEX/USMLE:

1. Hey all, I'm a first-year D.O. student looking to review just a little bit for both COMLEX/USMLE, just something like an hour or two per week on top of my normal studying. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Half of you M2s are going to read this and tell me that I'm way too uptight and need to relax because I'm just a first-year and I should enjoy the free time while I have it. Well, that's great and all, but that isn't going to get me into a competitive residency, so I'm asking for real advice here.

2. Interestingly, while I'm sure this upcoming question has been asked a ton of times before, the search function doesn't appear to be coming up with the answer I'm looking for.

Is there a general breakdown of questions on the COMLEX and/or USMLE? I've heard figures such as 30% physio and 20% path, but I'm curious to know if there's ever been a specific subject analysis and anyone has figured this out. That said, even if that info isn't available, can you guys tell me which areas are emphasized more over others? I know it'll be hard to study the systems-based stuff since I'm not a second-year yet, but I want to review some of the stuff I've already learned to keep it fresh. That said, here's what I've taken and am currently taking. What should I review?

Completed:

Gross Anatomy
Biochem
Genetics
Physiology I and II (Part 1 ran through basics, while Part 2 ran through the normal parts of cardiovascular, lymphatic, reproductive, endocrine, GI, urinary, a bit of skin, and respiratory)

Currently taking:

Pathology
Neuroscience
Microbiology/Immunology (includes bacteriology, immunology, virology, mycology, and parasitology)

3. Last, I'm just asking for any general advice you would give to a first-year either regarding the COMLEX/USMLE or regarding getting into a future residency...I'm already a class officer and I'm working on a research project with publications slated to come out later on this year. That said, once again, I'm looking for advice other than "relax", because I've already heard that more than enough times, and trust me, I do my fair share of relaxing (more than most medical students, in my honest opinion).

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Members don't see this ad.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but don't start studying for those exams now. The best thing you can do at this point is focus on the classes you are taking right now and learn the most you can from those. It will make reviewing later on much easier. I'm afraid if you start studying now that you will burn out long before the exam, or have a false sense of security when the time for intensive review rolls around. If you want to review some of your previous coursework, go ahead and do it. But don't start thinking about boards until next year. Just do your best with your classes right now.

review: theaters, concerts, beachs, relatives, friends etc. You won't have time for those in advance ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple questions about COMLEX/USMLE:

1. Hey all, I'm a first-year D.O. student looking to review just a little bit for both COMLEX/USMLE, just something like an hour or two per week on top of my normal studying. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Half of you M2s are going to read this and tell me that I'm way too uptight and need to relax because I'm just a first-year and I should enjoy the free time while I have it. Well, that's great and all, but that isn't going to get me into a competitive residency, so I'm asking for real advice here.

2. Interestingly, while I'm sure this upcoming question has been asked a ton of times before, the search function doesn't appear to be coming up with the answer I'm looking for.

Is there a general breakdown of questions on the COMLEX and/or USMLE? I've heard figures such as 30% physio and 20% path, but I'm curious to know if there's ever been a specific subject analysis and anyone has figured this out. That said, even if that info isn't available, can you guys tell me which areas are emphasized more over others? I know it'll be hard to study the systems-based stuff since I'm not a second-year yet, but I want to review some of the stuff I've already learned to keep it fresh. That said, here's what I've taken and am currently taking. What should I review?

Completed:

Gross Anatomy
Biochem
Genetics
Physiology I and II (Part 1 ran through basics, while Part 2 ran through the normal parts of cardiovascular, lymphatic, reproductive, endocrine, GI, urinary, a bit of skin, and respiratory)

Currently taking:

Pathology
Neuroscience
Microbiology/Immunology (includes bacteriology, immunology, virology, mycology, and parasitology)

3. Last, I'm just asking for any general advice you would give to a first-year either regarding the COMLEX/USMLE or regarding getting into a future residency...I'm already a class officer and I'm working on a research project with publications slated to come out later on this year. That said, once again, I'm looking for advice other than "relax", because I've already heard that more than enough times, and trust me, I do my fair share of relaxing (more than most medical students, in my honest opinion).

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

did you do well in the classes to begin with? you can do well enough to get a competitive residency without wasting your time studying for boards first year. Most people who get the competitive residencies do not spend all of their time studying. If you did well in the first place, the concepts will come back to you quickly during board prep. There is no sense trying to learn the details for the boards now because they will be forgotten by the time you get through 2nd year. Do yourself a favor and relax. The best prep is to focus your time on what you are currently studying and learn it really well the first time.

People are telling you to relax because that is what you need to do. You will crash and burn from burnout if u r not careful. There is such thing as studying too early for a test.

I just posted this somewhere else. Its funny that most people on here are gung ho, but fake the funk.. I remember talking to a medical student who said that he was going to party all night and chill out and not study during the weekend. Caught this dude at Starbucks reviewing class material for some class that had not even started (i think we had about a week before it started). He didn't know I was there. However, i was reading Love in the time of cholera in spanish by garcia marquez. I remember this other dude walking out of the grocery store telling me "oh, i just came to buy the basics: milk, ojay, fruits, and vegetables." I just asked him whats up. I did not ask for explanation why he was there. However, while he was telling me this nonsense, I was looking at his bags. All i could see was a big frozen pizza sticking out, donuts, icecream, and I think some beer and pita pockets. Weird stuff.

but I feel you man so here is my six cents.

Get a hold of USMLE First Aid and start familiarizing yourself with the exam. Annotate it during 2nd year as you go along and also make sure that you correct all the mistakes in the book (look at the step 1 forum for this or on the first aid usmle website). During the summer, review your BRS Physiology and maybe get a copy of HY Cell and Molecular biology and read it during the summer. Make sure to understand all these concepts in HY Cell and Molecular biology. Also, it would not hurt if you went over the biochem, micro, physio, immuno, embryo, and anatomy sections in First aid during the summer(when your reading through these sections you will encounter some M2 material, just glance through it might not make sense, but there is alot of M1 material in first aid that should be in your head). This should help build a better foundation as you start to learn in 2nd year.

good luck my gunner compatriot