Stupid GPA question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a dumb question, but i wanna know...it looks like i'll graduate with a 3.695 cgpa...for magna cum laude at my school its a 3.7...anybody have an idea if the schools round up? i know a 3.69 won't get it, but 3.695 can go either way (i've had profs. declare an 89.5 not a 90 for me so im paranoid...worse is i got a straigth B, not even B+)...thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably not qualify for magna cum laude. At my school, even if you had a 3.699 you wouldn't get it. You have to get a 3.700 or above to qualify.

Honestly, it doesn't make a bit of difference. A 3.695 and a 3.700 are basically synonymous, and med schools couldn't care less about the "cum laude" distinctions - instead they focus on your GPA and grades in the pre-reqs.

Ugh...that made me feel good and bad all at the same time...good that med schools don't care, bad that i would be .005 away from the next distinction...alright, thanks for the quick response and congrats on your acceptances...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, as far as I know, GPA's don't round up like that. But like others have said, once you're wearing that white coat, does it really matter?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, AMCAS will probably round it up to a 3.70.

I had a 3.692 calculated by my school (on a slightly different scale) but I ended up with a 3.70 calculated by AMCAS.

To explain a little further: at my school an A- was an 11/12 (=3.67); however AMCAS calculates an A- as a 3.70...so I was bumped up just enough to make that 3.70 cutoff.