Stupid Letters of Recommendations..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'm just tossing out some of these applications when they ask for 3 LORs from professors and/or from your premed req. classes. I can ably procure one from a professor I know.. I might be able to procure 2.. but 3 I cannot.

We at state schools are at a disadvantage about getting to know our professors..

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TTSD
I think I'm just tossing out some of these applications when they ask for 3 LORs from professors and/or from your premed req. classes. I can ably procure one from a professor I know.. I might be able to procure 2.. but 3 I cannot.

We at state schools are at a disadvantage about getting to know our professors..

i bet trying to "procure" extra letters of rec (even if its from someone u dont know all that well) is better than just throwing ur apps away...

chances for interviews are gold, my friend...especially when its in contrast to the garbage can

I asked for a letter of rec from a professor I hadn't spoken with since 1998. Believe it or not, she remembered me.

You can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket. So ask anyways.

I sent out letters to the people I asked for recs from that included my resume and how I did in their class--and other accomplishments--to help them write the letter. I had no problems whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to get seven letters of rec for my committe letter, surely you can get three. A couple of mine ended up being from prof's I didn't know too well, but I asked them to sit down and talk with me for a bit before writing the tletter and they said that was very helpful.

Don't throw them away! Ask a rec from a prof in a class you did well, even if the class was huge. Tell them what predicament you're in, talk to him/her for awhile. In most cases, they'll be able to write you a letter. So yeah, it might not be a stellar letter, but it's something, and you should at least try!!!!

Unfortunately for me, I'm banking on a lot for my letters of recommendations. That, and the letters are going to be pretty crappy if they come out as..

"I never saw this kid in my class before but evidently he did good in my class.."

I don't agree that people at state schools are at a disadvantage. I took a genetics class with 300 other people and got a great letter from the prof. The key: I was genuinely interested in the material, did the homework and the reading, helped other students, went to review sessions, did well in the class, and my lab TA and the head lab TA helped write the letter.

If the prof doesn't remember you, start with the TA and get the prof to cosign the letter.

Don't sweat it, try another prof. I had one prof make me feel like crap because I got what he called a "shakey" A in his class. I got a BA in another class and that prof was very enthusiastic about writing me a letter. Try to ask professors that you know have dealt with pre-med LORs before. They understand the process and are usually willing to do everything they can. Otherwise you need to convince the prof to write you a letter, which can take some tact and may be impossible in some cases. They prof who called my A shakey came around somewhat after I discussed my extracurriculars and MCAT scores with him. I've got other letters that are strong so I'm not too worried about his letter being a "glower".

If you are still having trouble getting LORs, that is not a good sign. Even at a big state school (like I go to), you should be able to find some people. Moreover, you should have some letters available from extracurriculars (research PIs are great). Even if the schools you are applying to don't ask for such non-school letters, send them anyway. These sorts of people tend to know your personality better and med schools will most likely look at them. And if the PI liked you, they will most likely be your best letters! (As compared to a prof of a class, even with 20 people; unless you are really lucky and hung out with your prof outside of class and/or screwed around with her/him)

it seems pretty lame to be complaining over the fact that you will need three academic letters total. That's pretty much the standard plus a few others(from physician recs, supervisors, etc)

BTW, what schools could you apply to with ony one academic science LOR? I cant think of one....