Stupid MCAT release date!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as was said on the otehr forums, here is the news from e-mcat:

Our data guy is confident that he can have the scores up on Tuesday, October 12. However, there are a couple of critical deadlines between now and then, so we need to make it a little vaguer than that.
The official word is:
The Week of October 12

This pisses me off so much. I mean come on, this is possibly even later than 60 days!!!!What the hell is AAMC good for. Lets see, 27,500 people took the test in April, so we can assume roughly the same number took it this time. At $190 a piece that adds up to over $5 million dollars. What the @#!$# are they doing with all that money if they can't get these scores back quicker. It takes a that much time given those resources to get this done then there organization is very poorly run. Jesus, I never realized that AAMC makes $10 million a year just off MCAT tests, which I'm sure a substantial amount is profit. I am so pissed. Like any otehr capitalistic enterprise, we are paying for a service and it is not very well provided. It just angers me we have no other alternative, and that with so many resources they manage ot get so little done. I want to know what AAMC does with all of the extra money they make, because I htought they were non-profit. I mean thank about income from applications alone!!!They must net 10's of millions a year. Well that's my rant. Feel free to add to it what you want. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's frustrating that it takes them two months to score an exam that is predominatedly multiple choice. We only take it twice a year and it costs us a freakin' $190....especially since i have most of stuff all done and am just waiting on my mcat score to come out.

OTOH, I don't feel confident about my score, so perhaps it's a better thing that I don't know just yet. ;)

ioes everyone care so much about a couple more days..or a couple less days?

i'd be happy to live in eternal bliss and never know that i failed the test

I think on the official MCAT site, someone from the AAMC posted an explanation on the message board there regarding the amount of time it takes to release scores. Just read that and you should be content - although it sort of seems a bit ridiculous to me to but whatever. No reason to complain - the day will come soon enough. I try not to think about it because there is nothing that can be done at this point. I talked to my parents last night and they were like, "Oh, only about 2 more weeks or so until you get your score." I was like, "Yeah, whatever," and then started a new conversation. Whatever works I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
No way am I satisfied with that response. Between MCAT fees and application fees I calculate that AAMC takes in at a minimum 30 - 40 million dollars (Do the math, about 50,000 *$190 for MCAT and 44,000 * avg of atleast $500 - $1000). That's more than enough money to speed up the process. A predominately multiple choice exam with a short essay section curved to a standard scale should take no more than a month, and that would be taking it slowly. The GRE, DAT, and otehr tests give you your score immediately or shortly after, not to mention are offered so many more times a year. The whole system is whack, it is a very poorly run, inefficient system and some things really need to change. If we pay AMCAS, all secondary applications and fees should be abolished, and the proccess should be streamlined. My $.02

Alexander Pink said:
No way am I satisfied with that response. Between MCAT fees and application fees I calculate that AAMC takes in at a minimum 30 - 40 million dollars (Do the math, about 50,000 *$190 for MCAT and 44,000 * avg of atleast $500 - $1000). That's more than enough money to speed up the process. A predominately multiple choice exam with a short essay section curved to a standard scale should take no more than a month, and that would be taking it slowly. The GRE, DAT, and otehr tests give you your score immediately or shortly after, not to mention are offered so many more times a year. The whole system is whack, it is a very poorly run, inefficient system and some things really need to change. If we pay AMCAS, all secondary applications and fees should be abolished, and the proccess should be streamlined. My $.02
AAMC can do what they want because there is no competion. Like any other business we should complains to the BBB, they may just outsource it to a 3rd world country for 10% of the cost. Ha Ha

Where is this whole week of october 12 thing on e-mcat.com? I don't see a bulletin board or forum on there. :confused:

The worst was a few years back when they suckered the poor premeds into paying an extra fee...not sure what it was, like $15-20 I think, in order to view their scores online early, and not have to wait an extra week for the paper copy to arrive in the mail.

crys20 said:
The worst was a few years back when they suckered the poor premeds into paying an extra fee...not sure what it was, like $15-20 I think, in order to view their scores online early, and not have to wait an extra week for the paper copy to arrive in the mail.

oh gosh, what rip-off; of course, i'd be one of the poor saps who would pay the extra fee.

Alexander Pink said:
The GRE, DAT, and otehr tests give you your score immediately or shortly after, not to mention are offered so many more times a year. The whole system is whack, it is a very poorly run, inefficient system and some things really need to change. If we pay AMCAS, all secondary applications and fees should be abolished, and the proccess should be streamlined. My $.02
I concur. Why can't they just scan all the sheets and give you your numerical score in a couple of days and then give you your WS score when those are finished?

seriously, ya'll are high strung.

I know it sucks waiting on MCAT scores, but don't freak out over it too much. A few days isn't going to make much difference in the long run.

Just wait 'till the week/day their suppsoed to come out... I found that to be the most stressfull time.

Good Luck,
S.

stoic said:
seriously, ya'll are high strung.

I know it sucks waiting on MCAT scores, but don't freak out over it too much. A few days isn't going to make much difference in the long run.

Just wait 'till the week/day their suppsoed to come out... I found that to be the most stressfull time.

Good Luck,
S.

while I agree with what point your comin from, but i also have to disagree, some people are stressed out cuz their admission to med school depends on this one lousy test, so naturally they are freakin out....from you perspective ( I think you already got it to med skool rite??) it really dont matter :) its natural to freak out but just dont overdo it. :) im waiting for my scores to ...to "redeem" myself from the catastrophic april MCAT :)

I was really anxious too. When I got my scores I regretted all of the worrying. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done with the problem, but not reading SDN might help.

Yeah, the last week sucks. I bet the majority of people start looking on THX on Friday night and keep hammering the "Refresh" button.

Monday the 11th is going to suck for y'all.

Ok. So, i imagine the writing section is the rate limiting step for grading, as i guess at least 2 and possibly 3 people grade it. The writing exam was worthless. I am not ashamed to say i got an M, and it affected me zilch on getting interviews and acceptances. If they just frickin dropped the written section your scores could be back in like 2 weeks. Or they could at least have a heart and post your other scores early and post the written scores later.