STUPID Microsoft Excel question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone on here can do this. I want to change the labels of the fields I am putting data into. In other words, instead of column "A" reading "A" I want to it read the way I WANT IT TO READ. Why can't I find this in any of the stupid help topics? I have see it done about a bazillion times, but I can't make it do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how to do what I think you're talking about in the last version of excel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6OBfXuSGQ

I've never done it in e2007, but I'm sure the procedure is similar.

Or do you mean changing the actual "A, B, C, 1, 2, 3," etc? I don't think that's possible, at least not to my knowledge. I think those are built into how excel works. One would imagine that if it were possible, it would just be a matter of clicking on the column name a second time, to right clicking and getting a "rename column" option, or something, since it would be a useful feature.

Wow, I think that sig line is insanely distasteful, btw.

Last edited:
I have subsequently found that what I want to do is indeed, impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not label the column what you want directly below the Excel assigned labels?

Why not label the column what you want directly below the Excel assigned labels?

That's kind of what I did, and "froze" row one, so the values I wanted would stay put. It basically is accomplishing what I wanted. Thanks.