Stupid Pre Med myths you thought as a Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellos
We all thought/did some stupid stuff freshman year, so what did you do freshman year that was stupid, especially if it was relevant to being pre med?
I'll go first- I didn't make an effort to participate in a summer research program mainly because I wasn't sure if i could do that many hours a week while fasting during the month of Ramadan, and I thought research was totally useless on medical school application , and shadowing was way more important ( I only ended up getting 10 ish hours of shadowing). It turns out, if you want to apply to a top 20 school, you need research. I still have time to pursue some, but I really should have gotten a head start freshman year....God I was stupid..
:shifty:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"I want to be an anesthesiologist so I'll just be a CRNA," followed by three semesters of nursing education.

I learned a lot though, chiefly that I don't care about gas, I care about medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Freshman year I was convinced I just needed a bachelors and GPA didn't matter for medical school :eek:.

I just needed to get in somewhere (AKA Offshore) and apparently I was set.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely undervalued volunteering for admissions purposes. Fortunately I was still involved in volunteer work due to personal interest, but I thought research would be a way more important part of my app -- it turns out that volunteering ended up being the highlight of my application, while my research was almost a side note. I also thought that if my GPA dipped below a 3.7, my chance at admission to any medical school was basically zero and that I'd have to give up and find a new career. I even threw away my copy of Gray's Anatomy (the book) after one poor GPA semester, because I couldn't bear to look at it since I "knew" I'd never get into medical school. For awhile I was also convinced that applicants needed to be super talented at some unique, high-level, non-medical hobby (world-class musician, NCAA sport) in order to attract the attention of a top school. :p I have no idea what I was thinking back then.....

Reactions: 6 users
That your major matters. Seriously do whatever you're interested in.

Reactions: 18 users
That your major matters. Seriously do whatever you're interested in.
Wait, so if you want to do anything you're interested in, then doesn't that mean that major doesn't matter and you can major in whatever you want? That wording was confusing.

Wait, so if you want to do anything you're interested in, then doesn't that mean that major doesn't matter and you can major in whatever you want? That wording was confusing.

What they're saying is that there is the myth that says that pre-med students should major in a subject like biology, chemistry, neuroscience, etc., when they can actually major in literally any field (history, computer science, etc.) and be a successful applicant if they take and do well in the required science prerequisites (and of course check off the rest of the required necessary boxes).

Reactions: 2 users
That having volunteering hours (clinical and non clinical) shadowing hours research hours great MCAT and GPA, research paper, multiple teaching and other jobs is NOT enough

Oh yeah I still think so because

1/I'm neurotic
2/imposter syndrome
2/I'm an international student

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you....sleep at all?

I was sure I was gonna make the MCAT my female Dog... It was the other way around :( (at least the first time).

I thought I was literally SCREWED because I didn't do one of those medical mission trips. Didn't help that every rando who happened to find out I was pre-med was like "oh you haven't volunteered abroad....?" *disappointing glance*

Reactions: 10 users
If they don't care what your degree is, why do you even need one? Seems like a minimum credit hour requirement would suffice.

If they don't care what your degree is, why do you even need one? Seems like a minimum credit hour requirement would suffice.

Technically you don't need a degree for many schools (only 90 credit hours or more. Famously, Rand Paul never graduated from undergrad but went to Duke for medicine) but the fact of the matter is that not earning a degree is dumb and everyone will probably look at you funny if you don't finish undergrad after being accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I am sure many premeds will read this wondering what they should be doing, I am posting an AAMC survey where 127 medical school admissions offices classified the relative importance of various factors for evaluating applicants

Pretty annoying that years' worth of research is basically worthless because it was at a *public* institution.

"I want to be an anesthesiologist so I'll just be a CRNA," followed by three semesters of nursing education.

I learned a lot though, chiefly that I don't care about gas, I care about medicine.
I realized that this year, my first semester of nursing school at my uni! Dropped it as soon as i realized i was on the wrong path. Glad you found your way too.

Pretty annoying that years' worth of research is basically worthless because it was at a *public* institution.
I'm confused by this too....sorry I saved money by going to my state school? The research undergrads did was at our medical school which as a whole receives like the 2nd most NIH funding if you count all of the associated institutions...is it really thrown in the trash because it wasn't at a private school?

I'm confused by this too....sorry I saved money by going to my state school? The research undergrads did was at our medical school which as a whole receives like the 2nd most NIH funding if you count all of the associated institutions...is it really thrown in the trash because it wasn't at a private school?

I think @Saifa might be misinterpreting that survey. What that survey says is that adcoms at public medical schools do not value research as much as those at private medical schools. This makes sense when you consider that there are loads and loads of public schools, many of which are not research focused institutions but a comparably smaller number of private medical schools, many of which are research institutions.

Reactions: 7 users
I think @Saifa might be misinterpreting that survey. What that survey says is that adcoms at public medical schools do not value research as much as those at private medical schools. This makes sense when you consider that there are loads and loads of public schools, many of which are not research focused institutions but a comparably smaller number of private medical schools, many of which are research institutions.
This makes much more sense haha, thanks!

I can understand that, but I would think that the quality of research heavily varies on a case-by-case basis. Many people doing "research" are washing dishes for a wet lab, but I suppose that would fall through the cracks in LOR/interviewing.

I can understand that, but I would think that the quality of research heavily varies on a case-by-case basis. Many people doing "research" are washing dishes for a wet lab, but I suppose that would fall through the cracks in LOR/interviewing.

Not sure i understand what your concerns are. The survey shows that public medical schools do not weigh research as heavily as private medical schools, so i don't understand your first post. Regarding your second post, adcoms and interviewers will know what applicants did in research by asking them a series of questions regarding their research work. Dishwashing applicants will struggle to answer them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
That more difficult science majors would be looked at more favorably, but also if the GPA drops below 3.7 to give up on med school immediately. Also was under the impression that the LOR hunt should begin first semester freshman year.

Also thought that you HAD to be involved with a pre-med type club on campus.

is this some kind of "anesthesiologists aren't real doctors" thing? If so, you should quit while you're ahead.

It turns out, if you want to apply to a top 20 school, you need research. I still have time to pursue some
Wait aren't you the sophomore recently posting about withdrawing and retaking prereqs? You're lamenting about not gunning hard enough in freshman summer because you gotta go t20???

Anyways the biggest myth I believed was that my university did a good job of getting most premeds into med schools. Really they do a good job of weeding down to a minority that mostly gets into med schools.

Reactions: 8 users
Wait aren't you the sophomore recently posting about withdrawing and retaking prereqs? You're lamenting about not gunning hard enough in freshman summer because you gotta go t20???

Anyways the biggest myth I believed was that my university did a good job of getting most premeds into med schools. Really they do a good job of weeding down to a minority that mostly gets into med schools.
I only withdrew one pre req. And I guess in general is that any med school does value research was more my point.

The major thing and that adcoms would be impressed that I double majored

Reactions: 5 users
is this some kind of "anesthesiologists aren't real doctors" thing? If so, you should quit while you're ahead.

No.

Edit: Legitimately no, what I meant to convey was that no particular specialty is my motivation.

Not sure i understand what your concerns are. The survey shows that public medical schools do not weigh research as heavily as private medical schools, so i don't understand your first post. Regarding your second post, adcoms and interviewers will know what applicants did in research by asking them a series of questions regarding their research work. Dishwashing applicants will struggle to answer them.

I do understand now. I was failing to grasp that it was the difference of opinions among private/public medical schools, not regarding the undergrad attended.

adcoms and interviewers will know what applicants did in research by asking them a series of questions regarding their research work. Dishwashing applicants will struggle to answer them
You know I was expecting this to be the case and it very much wasn't

Someone that just maintains cell lines for a grad student but attends lab meetings and understands the gist of the project will do fine in interviews

Reactions: 3 users
I thought you had to be on some premed double major track which you had to declare before college in order to be helped by the university.

Though that's not that far off... :p

@Saifa
I think what that means is public schools don't care about it but private schools do. As in their adcoms...

Eta: already clarified by someone else. Oops!

I thought that doing well on the MCAT would be an automatic ticket to medical school. The idea of having to reapply was entirely foreign to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Taking harder classes would look better to adcoms.... LOL. Take the easiest classes you can my friends. All about the GPA

Reactions: 10 users
Because we need to know that you can handle rigorous coursework.

And the vast majority of people who start out as pre-meds never become medical students.

Hence, you need a degree.

Since I am sure many premeds will read this wondering what they should be doing, I am posting an AAMC survey where 127 medical school admissions offices classified the relative importance of various factors for evaluating applicants

I was just looking for this earlier today! Thanks!

Here are mine (these may also include things I thought were true as a junior... whoops):

1. You needed a first author publication to be considered at a top 20 med school
2. Volunteering internationally will make you a unique and attractive applicant to medical schools
3. A letter of intent was something that you sent before you applied
4. Med schools cared what you major in
5. If you didn't do cancer research your research didn't matter
6. Patient contact doesn't matter
7. SDN is full of terrible gunner people who want you to fail

Reactions: 7 users
Here are mine (these may also include things I thought were true as a junior... whoops):

1. You needed a first author publication to be considered at a top 20 med school
2. Volunteering internationally will make you a unique and attractive applicant to medical schools
3. A letter of intent was something that you sent before you applied
4. Med schools cared what you major in
5. If you didn't do cancer research your research didn't matter
6. Patient contact doesn't matter
7. SDN is full of terrible gunner people who want you to fail
That last one.....:laugh:
EDIT: Weren't you somewhat of a gunner?

I had the "checklist mentality" until around my junior year. Seriously, don't do things for the sake of checking boxes... your application is not a checklist. You can get into medical school without having x hours volunteering, x number of publications, x shadowing hours, etc.

Instead, do whatever makes you come alive... you'll thank yourself when it comes time to write your personal statement and secondary essays.

I used to think Caribbean was just like a regular MD school with better weather. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: 5 users
What makes you say that?
I mean, isn't a gunner somebody who always wants to be on top? I feel like you would have been at some point, maybe you posted something that made me think that? ._. I phrased it was a question for a reason.

I have never called him Wedgie by accident lol

"Gunner" is a negative term that describes someone ruthlessly, selfishly competitive. Won't help others, always wants to compare scores to make sure they beat you, that kind of thing. You can be hard working, enjoy a challenge, want to do great things etc without being a gunner.

As a premed i believed babies came from storks.

Reactions: 11 users
I have never called him Wedgie by accident lol

"Gunner" is a negative term that describes someone ruthlessly, selfishly competitive. Won't help others, always wants to compare scores to make sure they beat you, that kind of thing. You can be hard working, enjoy a challenge, want to do great things etc without being a gunner.
Huh. Sorry about that, then, @WedgeDawg I was thinking that may have some sort of negative connotation I was missing...I've only been here for like, a month guys.
EDIT: Can I call you WEDGETABLE?

I feel like this belongs in an hSDN sticky. Or on the desks of high school counselors everywhere. The latter would probably be more useful.

I used to think studying a couple of hours before class was enough. I also used to think a B was a good grade. :smack: