Stupid Question about NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all... ok 'scuse my ignorance but the fact that NYMC is called a college... does that mean that it's any less than a 'university' . Is it just the name? I'm also confused because on the web site NYMC is sometimes reffered to as a 'university' ?!?!?

You see in canada there is a HUGE distinction between colleges and universities....... Anyhow....... please respond..... sorry if I sound like a total ******! There are no colleges with med schools here.........

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it, it doesn't mean anything.
Boston College is considered better, reputation wise, than Boston University.
Ross University in Dominica is another example.

As far as I know there's no major difference. There are a bunch of medical schools that attach "college of medicine" to the end of their names. Also, "University" could mean that it has an undergraduate population, which NYMC does not. NYMC is purely a graduate school. Hope that helps a little. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ocean11 said:
Hi all... ok 'scuse my ignorance but the fact that NYMC is called a college... does that mean that it's any less than a 'university' . Is it just the name? I'm also confused because on the web site NYMC is sometimes reffered to as a 'university' ?!?!?

You see in canada there is a HUGE distinction between colleges and universities....... Anyhow....... please respond..... sorry if I sound like a total ******! There are no colleges with med schools here.........
this was NOT a stupid Q...bc after i read your post i was like...whats the difference anyways...these are things i often ponder in the shower but forget to seek answers to..thanks

ocean11 said:

The difference is as follows. In some international systems (UK for example), the word college is the equivalent of grades 10 - 13 in the US. In the US that is considered High School. In the UK, people then go to "university" as they do here, but here the words college and university are used interchangebly for bachelor's level education. University just means the institution offers PhD level programs (difference between Amherst and Harvard for example). All medical schools are graduate schools in the US rather than undergraduate level as in the UK. Yet, in the practice of medicine medical school is considered undergraduate medical education with postgraduate training being residency (PGY-1, PGY-2, etc.), that is the reason for the common practice of having an overaching university name followed by "college of medicine," especially for those who have other graduate and undergraduate programs.

For a college to have a medical school is absurd in other systems, since they are HS level. So to directly answer your question, no its not any less, and the words are used interchangeably here.... After all Harvard is called Harvard Medical School and in those systems, schools < colleges < universities. We all know Harvard is ok in terms of medical schools :).

thank you so much for your responses....

So for those of you who want to practice in the UK after you graduate, would you have a problem going to NYMC? would you be able to get licenced? also how would patients view you? Harvard Medical School is an exeption to the rule because EVERYONE knows Harvard.....

Anyhow I know this isn't a problem in the US but I'm just worried about stigma if I return to Canada (still don't know were I want to practice), I talked to some of my friends about this and they think I'm being stupid, but I'm just trying to errr on the side of caution.

Anyhow once again thanks for your responses...... they are much appreciated!

My guess is that the name of the college/school/university just doesn't matter if you want to practice in another country...in the US there really isn't a difference between a "college" and a "university". There are still going to be hoops to jump through to practice medicine in another country from where you got your education.

And listen to your friends about whether your patients care which school you went to. ;)

ocean11 said:

The way I understand it is that a University is essentially a collection of colleges.

For example, THe University of Jo Mamma consists of the colleges of LAS, Architecture, Medicine, Kinesiology, Business, engineering, social work, etc...

NYMC is not (as far as I know) affiliated with any other school. That is to say that they are there only to teach Medicine. Nothing else.

In the US, when you graduate from a university, you actually graduate from the college of X, of the University of Y.