Stupid Question about Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mizzoudude

I am a stupid premed..haha...actually a masters student who is trying to make up for his less than stellar performance as an undergrad...looking to go to medical school. I have a few questions about residencies...

I understand that one matches into a residency after medical school based on USMLE scores, research, class standing, letters of recommendations, etc.

Can anyone list the residencies by year? I know that IM/FP is three years and I understand that specifics such as cardiology, gastro, etc. are a few years of fellowship after the IM residency. But what about radiology? What about dermatology? Does one do a internal medicine residency and then get into dermatology from there? Or does one apply for a dermatology residency straight after medical school?

Also, if I do not impress the adcom with my new graduate school grades, I will also be applying to some DO schools and go the DO route...how hard is it to get a dermatology residency if one is a DO? Is it even possible? Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

mizzoudude said:
I am a stupid premed..haha...actually a masters student who is trying to make up for his less than stellar performance as an undergrad...looking to go to medical school. I have a few questions about residencies...

I understand that one matches into a residency after medical school based on USMLE scores, research, class standing, letters of recommendations, etc.

Can anyone list the residencies by year? I know that IM/FP is three years and I understand that specifics such as cardiology, gastro, etc. are a few years of fellowship after the IM residency. But what about radiology? What about dermatology? Does one do a internal medicine residency and then get into dermatology from there? Or does one apply for a dermatology residency straight after medical school?

Also, if I do not impress the adcom with my new graduate school grades, I will also be applying to some DO schools and go the DO route...how hard is it to get a dermatology residency if one is a DO? Is it even possible? Thanks for all the help.

There are ACGME (MD) residencies and AOA (DO) residencies. MD students can apply to the ACGME programs, while DO students can apply to both. There are around 12 AOA derm programs - these would be your options as a DO student.

You apply to derm straight out of medschool - 3 yr residency.

Thanks for the posts...I also got smart and read the FAQs on the sections...

Recently I have been reading much about physicians not being happy in the areas that they practice...mostly IM/FP...overworked, malpractice, etc. etc.

When I go to medical school (be it MD or DO....since I don't have a great undergraduate record) I want to strive to be the best of the best so that I get the residency of my choice. It seems that the dermatology doc has a pretty good life...40 hr work week and good pay. Nothing too stressful...

Thanks again for the information...

mizzoudude said:
Thanks for the posts...I also got smart and read the FAQs on the sections...

Recently I have been reading much about physicians not being happy in the areas that they practice...mostly IM/FP...overworked, malpractice, etc. etc.

When I go to medical school (be it MD or DO....since I don't have a great undergraduate record) I want to strive to be the best of the best so that I get the residency of my choice. It seems that the dermatology doc has a pretty good life...40 hr work week and good pay. Nothing too stressful...

Thanks again for the information...

Going into medschool I wanted derm for the lifestyle. Then I saw some derm in practice - scraping rashes, removing warts, evaluating acne. Just not worth it to me.
My point is, you will likely change your mind multiple times in the next 6 years - and there are other fields with nice lifestyles. Look into radiology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, EM to some extent....