Stupid question, I know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is psych considered primary care? I always thought it was a specialty but someone told me it was primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually medical specialty residencies are four years in length. The primary care specialties are normally considered Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics - all of which are three year residencies.

For some loan forgiveness programs, you must be a "primary care specialty" to qualify for monetary and other incentives. They then go on to list psychiatry as one of these. Technically, though, it is a medical specialty.

That's my main question. It is possible then to get into a loan forgiveness program if you want to go into psych?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the area. Check out the APA's "Psychiatric News." They mention loan repayment help, moving expenses, and other bonuses for working in underserved areas.

Psychiatry is in demand in many areas. While there may not be an official federal monetary incentive, an underserved area may pay a big salary for a psychiatrist to come work. I've seen starting offers around 200k +.

Thanks! You've been very helpful!