Stupid Question: What is osteopathic philosophy all about?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AdCom asks you: what is osteopathic philosophy all about?

If you were to answer with the best response possible, what would you say?

ADCOMs: what is the best response you’ve heard to this question either from reading applications or interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Treat the patient not the disease
Caring for the whole person: Body, mind, and spirit.
Empathy for the patient

Some combination of those put more elloquently.

Reactions: 1 users
4years and $400,000 later I’m still not sure...:

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

ADCOMs: what is the best response you’ve heard to this question either from reading applications or interviews.
I'm not doing your homework for you.
Just give me something that's not vomiting up what you read on Wikipedia.

Better yet, why don't you Shadow a DO and an MD and compare and contrast the differences between the two?

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not doing your homework for you.
Just give me something that's not vomiting up what you read on Wikipedia.

Better yet, why don't you Shadow a DO and an MD and compare and contrast the differences between the two?

I’ve done so, and I don’t see any difference. They practice the same medicine. I’ve seen one OMM procedure, and really that’s the only difference I see. MDs adopted Treating the whole pt. And started taking everything into account. so besides the musculoskeletal aspect, what makes osteopathic philosophy so different? It became so successful that MDs adopted treating the whole patient and taking all other circumstances besides the disease into account

Last edited:
I’ve done so, and I don’t see any difference. They practice the same medicine. I’ve seen one OMM procedure, and really that’s the only difference I see. MDs adopted Treating the whole pt. And started taking everything into account. so besides the musculoskeletal aspect, what makes osteopathic philosophy so different? It became so successful that MDs adopter treating the whole patient and taking all other circumstances besides the disease into account
You're going to have to figure this one out on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve done so, and I don’t see any difference. They practice the same medicine. I’ve seen one OMM procedure, and really that’s the only difference I see. MDs adopted Treating the whole pt. And started taking everything into account. so besides the musculoskeletal aspect, what makes osteopathic philosophy so different? It became so successful that MDs adopted treating the whole patient and taking all other circumstances besides the disease into account

Don’t overthink it. The point isn’t to say that this is how we’re different from MD’s, it’s moreso to say that these are the philosophies of Osteopathic Medicine. Focus on the end result of wanting to give patients the best treatment outcomes possible, and looking for ideas and approaches that will maximize that. That is the end goal of MD, DO, PA, etc etc and DO has certain foundational principles since it’s inception. That’s how I see it.

Very barebones answer: "Treating the whole patient and not just the disease"

More sophisticated answer: "Using neuromuscular techniques to restore a bodily dysfunction to it's normal physiologic state"

Marketing.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol if you feel they are basically the same then just use the same answer. The identity crisis that osteopathic medicine is having will pass dont get caught up in it.

I can’t stand the narrative that DO’s are “more holistic.” Lol like wut.
How caring you are as a doctor depends on the person and to an extent your speciality, not the letters behind your name.

"You can't spell 'doctor' without 'DO'!"

Say that, and you'll get an automatic acceptance.

Seriously, it's all theater. Memorize your script and recite your lines when asked.

Reactions: 1 users