Stupid (?) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without getting into a long, drawn-out background....yes, I'm an RN applying to MD and DO schools. Undergrad ed approx 10 yrs old...yes, I have MUCH post-bac/graduate ed with grades all above 3.5. (Still waiting for recent MCAT scores) Here comes the 2-cent question....realized undergrad ed is missing ONE CREDIT of Physics II Lab - have actual class, but no lab II. Obviously too late to sign up for this Fall semester to make it up (I'm taking a Biochem class this semester BTW)...should I bother for next semester? Is missing this one credit-one lab a "big" deal?
I appreciate any input....Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It could be a problem in your future, but if it is, the school will tell you when you get your secondary. Unless you are applying late, you should be notified in time to take the class.

For example, I got accepted to a medical school, and the acceptance letter stated: "Your matriculation is contingent upon three credits of behavioral science." So I got in, but I still needed to take the class, and I have a year to do it. So no problem....

Now, you have to answer a question for me. As an RN, what differences do you see in the attitude, treatment, and patient views of osteopathic medicine vs allopathic medicine?

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

The general pt population does NOT NOT NOT understand, know, or frankly care whether the physician who sees them is a DO or MD. Walking up to them and intro self saying, "Hello, I'm Dr. _____" is the only thing the general pt pop cares about at that moment. And, yes, there is a bedside difference and physical assessment difference between the 2 fields (I find the DO's win on these points--in my experiences). On the flip, I have also had dealings with PA's much more qualified and who give much better/safer patient care than their MD/DO counterparts....
I have to laugh when I read all the posts re: 'MD vs DO?', 'Who's better?', etc. I am at a position in life where the fundamental principals of the field(s) are most important in considering which field of study to pursue - not the "ego-trip" attached to the "proper" title (may be also a function of my non-traditional student status/age?). I think the microscopic analysis of both fields only happens between pre-meds not the general public....
We can all achieve greatness no matter which letters are after our names, because the letters before our names will be "DR" either way...

Just my humble opinion.....
biggrin.gif

Kat

Members don't see this ad :)
I thank you for the input, and that's why I asked you. You see, I am not interested at all about what other DO's/MD's think about me. The only thing I care about is the patients. And I wanted to ask a person who's been there (rather than get the 'opinions' of arrogant premeds).

Thanks for being objective. I am happy I got a quick answer without starting a flame war, which is NOT my intent. Best of luck to you in the future!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

I completely agree with you Nursey. I am an RN/BSN in trauma unit/ER/TICU. I specifically got my BS in nursing so that I could get valuable experience as well as earn the money to pay for med school~and I have NO regrets~NOTTA!
I gave up the "keeping up with the Jone's" mentality with my 28th birthday. The perverbial pi**ing contests I see on these boards are halarious and only validate the importance of EXPERIENCE. In the real world, the only difference is in the way a physician chooses to practice. I worked in the unit for 2 years before I ever realized a well respected surgeon was a DO and routinely work in the ER with Osteopaths. I only started paying attention to titles myself when I started considering to go DO. Different philosophies, different lifestyles, different personal beliefs and opinions are all valid reasons for choosing DO or MD. I guess maturity brings with it the realization that there is a place for everyone. The surgeon I mentioned gets consulted as often if not more than the other surgeons in the hospital, his patients love him, and he is an exceptional physician. The ER docs (DO) I mentioned are either exceptional or at the very least competent, as are the MDs I have worked with in the ER. I suppose if your specialty is not one in which the osteopathic philosophy can be fully appreciated, then MD is the way to go. Hypothetically~If I were diagnosed with cancer, I can say without a doubt that I would look first for a DO to manage my treatment. In choosing a doctor for my family, I would again look for a DO with whom I feel comfortable. DOs are crucial in the ER, where at least 75% of the patients come in b/c they hurt somewhere. They just want the pain to go away, and the majority of them would just as soon find relief with the least invasive techniques/medical treatment. Who would I choose for open heart surgery or a boob job? The surgeon with the best credentials, whom I trust, with the most experience and with whom I feel comfortable, MD or DO. There is ALWAYS room for another good doc!

------------------
Some people look better with their clothes on!

[This message has been edited by Nurse2Doc (edited 11-10-2000).]

Take the class this spring, don't gamble your future on 1hr.