Stupid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawkfist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DO's who do MD residencies end up with a MD degree? Ive been looking around for the answer for the past hour and cant find it..

If not, whats the point of getting into those residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

No they don't. If you go to a DO school you will have a DO degree. There are far more MD residencies than DO residencies so going the MD route increases the chances of getting in an area you like. certainly there are many reasons, but this is one.

Also ACGME (MD) is saying now that anyone who wants to do a ACGME (MD) Fellowship will have to do an ACGME (MD) accredited residency. There's a lot more ACGME (MD) Fellowships than AOA (DO) fellowships so this may be a factor in the near future.

:::: Added in MD and DO to the respective organizations for better clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
The policy has not been put into effect though- correct? (concerning the ACGME requiring an ACGME residency for a fellowship right?) Also, does that policy also dictate that in order to do an ACGME residency, one could not complete a traditional rotating internship through the AOA? That's a side note...sorry :)

On the topic, DOs not only apply to ACGME residencies to increase chances of matching, but also because mathematically speaking, there are not enough residencies through the AOA as compared to the number of DO grads that get put out each year. So simply put, some DOs HAVE to apply ACGME. Also, some just prefer it. Some don't want to utilize the OMM skills and are happy to forgo those for a residency program that doesn't incorporate continuing education in OMM.

The policy has not been put into effect though- correct? (concerning the ACGME requiring an ACGME residency for a fellowship right?) Also, does that policy also dictate that in order to do an ACGME residency, one could not complete a traditional rotating internship through the AOA? That's a side note...sorry :)

It is not in effect yet..but it is raising quite a stink and it sounds like it could possibly be pushed through as it is written.

I believe it states that if one does an AOA intern year and wishes to transfer to an ACGME program that they would have to start over to the PGY-1 year.

You get your degree when you graduate from medical school. You then use that to go to a residency where you choose your specialty. Then if you want to sub-specialize then you do a fellowship. I hope that's clear enough.

No they don't. If you go to a DO school you will have a DO degree. There are far more MD residencies than DO residencies so going the MD route increases the chances of getting in an area you like. certainly there are many reasons, but this is one.

Yup. With ACGME residencies you're also competing against MDs so there's additional competition.

There is no way out of your degree. The great advantage of md residencies is the pay, location, and the fact that certain groups will only hire a DO with acgme training.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

To get an MD degree and to have the MD Initials after your name you need to graduate from an Allopathic school of Medicine.

There is no way out of your degree. The great advantage of md residencies is the pay, location, and the fact that certain groups will only hire a DO with acgme training.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

In Saskatchewan Canada Osteopaths can't even practice medicine. They are restricted to MM only. They can't prescribe medications, perform surgery, etc. And in Newfoundland Canada licenses (LMCC, COMLEX, USMLE, FLEX, NBME ) osteopaths have gotten elsewhere are not even recognized.

In Saskatchewan Canada Osteopaths can't even practice medicine. They are restricted to MM only. They can't prescribe medications, perform surgery, etc. And in Newfoundland Canada licenses (LMCC, COMLEX, USMLE, FLEX, NBME ) osteopaths have gotten elsewhere are not even recognized.

He's actually correct, as I understand it.

Osteopath = professional who solely uses OMM (and is very limited in several countries).:confused:
Osteopathic Physician = fully licensed physician that is additionally trained in OMM.:thumbup:

The former is an antiquated term which describes people who are trained in manipulation only (and this occurs in countries outside of the United States).

Newfoundland gives unlimited rights per the medical act of 2011. Right now it's only Saskatchewan that limits D.O.'s in any way. Prince Edward Islands doesn't have any provisions for or against. I think nobody has tried. All other provinces are unlimited (with a few requiring ACGME residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
Newfoundland gives unlimited rights per the medical act of 2011

Then why is the status of license requirements in Newfoundland: Pending. Currently under review

?

Right now it's only Saskatchewan that limits D.O.'s in any way.

Restrictions are far worse than limits. And currently Licensing requirements on Prince Edward I are: Restricted. No provision for US DO

You people do realize that there are no colleges of osteopathic medicine in Canada? Only graduates of the US-Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine are eligible for licensure to practise Osteopathic Medicine in Canada in provinces that permit it.

Then why is the status of license requirements in Newfoundland: Pending. Currently under review

?
I gotta admit my source was wikipedia for this, so I'll take your word for now.

Look at Captain Canada coming out of left-field Yeti territory with his flame thrower and maple leaf flag to boot. Most people here can give a rat's @$$ about Canada, eh.

FYI we don't call em osteopaths anymore here in the good ol' US of A, hoser.

To get an MD degree and to have the MD Initials after your name you need to graduate from an Allopathic school of Medicine.

False. DOs that do residency at a hospital associated with an allo medical school often get MD stiched on their coat. I work at one such hospital and have seen/spoke with DOs who have MD on their coat and name badge. According to them, it's for uniformity within the hospital. Obviously they are still a DO, but in the most literal sense of what you typed, you are mistaken.

False. DOs that do residency at a hospital associated with an allo medical school often get MD stiched on their coat. I work at one such hospital and have seen/spoke with DOs who have MD on their coat and name badge. According to them, it's for uniformity within the hospital. Obviously they are still a DO, but in the most literal sense of what you typed, you are mistaken.

That's whack!

Lol...is it really so "whack"? I'm curious as to why you say that.

Then again, my response all depends on whether or not your response was due to 1.) Disdain that a DO could get the privilege of having MD on their coat or 2.) Disdain that a DO would accept MD on their coat. :)

It's definitely a reality that a LARGE portion of the population doesn't know what DO even means. When I used to volunteer in a pediatric/OB clinic staffed by DOs, the patient documents faxed there would always say "Dr. so and so, MD" because no one ever thought otherwise about the fact that another medical degree exists. I personally would like to have DO written after my name one day because I'm proud of the extra training I go through during my medical education and hope to put it to some use one day. Would I make a scene about if they wanted to put MD after my name? Not sure at this point...I take pride in my education thus far but if we want to quit drawing the lines between the 2, we have to start somewhere. I'm sure the idea of just putting "Physician" on the coat has been thrown out there....?

Lol...is it really so "whack"? I'm curious as to why you say that.

I harbor no disdain. However, regardless of one's perspective on the issue (MD or DO or whatever), stitching MD on a DO's coat is simply not representing the truth, regardless of intent, hence the "whack."

I don't buy the whole "people don't know what a DO is" thing to justify this. It seems to only perpetuate the current uninformed state amongst certain patient populations by mislabeling the physician (who for some reason needs to be labeled with an embroidered jacket as opposed to a brightly color-coded ID tag that screams PHYSICIAN). But if the fancy sewing is a must, keep the DO stitched on the jacket and let the patient find out what's up. That said, very few patients could give a hoot... at least where I'm from where most people are very aware that DOs exist and practice modern medicine.

All-in-all it's not really THAT big of a deal, but it's still sort of beat. I'd rather see the truth, personally speaking.

There was actually a California DO school in the 1970s that switched to an allopathic school and then retroactively changed its graduates' degrees to MDs. Not likely to happen again, though...although there has been talk about KCUMB going to MD.

I harbor no disdain. However, regardless of one's perspective on the issue (MD or DO or whatever), stitching MD on a DO's coat is simply not representing the truth, regardless of intent, hence the "whack."

I don't buy the whole "people don't know what a DO is" thing to justify this. It seems to only perpetuate the current uninformed state amongst certain patient populations by mislabeling the physician (who for some reason needs to be labeled with an embroidered jacket as opposed to a brightly color-coded ID tag that screams PHYSICIAN). But if the fancy sewing is a must, keep the DO stitched on the jacket and let the patient find out what's up. That said, very few patients could give a hoot... at least where I'm from where most people are very aware that DOs exist and practice modern medicine.

All-in-all it's not really THAT big of a deal, but it's still sort of beat. I'd rather see the truth, personally speaking.
Gotcha...I agree with you that patients should ask, be informed, etc. And also, that most patients don't care really. It's sad, but true. Maybe one day this will just stop being an issue...ha...ha... :)

There was actually a California DO school in the 1970s that switched to an allopathic school and then retroactively changed its graduates' degrees to MDs. Not likely to happen again, though...although there has been talk about KCUMB going to MD.
I was under the impression that the KCUMB MD/DO degree idea had been snuffed out awhile ago. I could be mistaken though

Maybe one day this will just stop being an issue...ha...ha... :)

Not sure it ever will with all the politics involved. Out of our control for now though. If I go DO though, I promise not to have MD stitched on me jacket :D

Not sure it ever will with all the politics involved. Out of our control for now though. If I go DO though, I promise not to have MD stitched on me jacket :D
I respect that. It is hard for me to find the balance....we get knocked as DOs and future DOs for wanting to be the same but still maintaining the assertion that we're different. To me, I find it silly not to be considered the same but different. We get the same training, yet we have learned some added tools for practice. So yes, I'd prefer DO on my coat, but without all the nonsense debate that comes along with it. :)