Style help for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skybliss

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I bet some people will think this is dumb, but I'm not leaving anything up to chance.

I think, regarding hair style, I'm going to go with short-medium length hair. It doesn't look good by itself like that, so I'll slightly gel the front. Not too much though, cause then it'll look too informal or suave-like.

Has anyone else also thought about how much gel to use, or whether to use any or not? No haters please! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I use wax. Holds shape well w/out looking like I have anything in my hair. Not shiny, hard, or clumped together. My friends don't even know I use it. Try it!

Ok, I bet some people will think this is dumb,

Yes we will.

Has anyone else also thought about how much gel to use, or whether to use any or not? No haters please! =)

No, I haven't thought about how much gel to use or even whether to use any or not. It never crossed my mind. Ever. I don't think I've used hair gel since I was 14.

Have you thought about what sort of fragrance you're going to wear? The type of soap you'll use?

As for the "no haters," you're chumming the water for sharks and then asking them not to bite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes we will.

No, I haven't thought about how much gel to use or even whether to use any or not. It never crossed my mind. Ever. I don't think I've used hair gel since I was 14.

Have you thought about what sort of fragrance you're going to wear? The type of soap you'll use?

As for the "no haters," you're chumming the water for sharks and then asking them not to bite.

Relax

No one's biting anyone

I have worn my usual spiking-glue fauxhawk and neat, purposeful 3 day beard to all of my interviews so far. I've also got an acceptance and an alternate list decision (still waiting to hear from Western) thus far. As long as your hair isn't pink and looks neat and purposeful, I don't think anyone will even think about your hair gel.

Yes we will.

I don't think many people share your sentiment. *shrug*. Maybe you are just bored.

I would use wax/putty as well, doesn't make you look shiny. Additionally, I would avoid fragrances.

TO make up for me jumping all over someone for the "interview while raining" question I will answer this one nicely.

No fragrances...the last thing you need is the interviewer HATING your cologne/being allergic to it or something.

As for your hair: American Crew wax products. :thumbup:

Yeah, wax works well.

Make sure your suit fits well and is pressed. If you have any noticeable piercings, take them off! I couldn't believe I actually saw a kid with multiple earrings in one ear on an interview I went to. Be as conservative as possible.

ace-ventura04.jpg

I'm thinking you should go with a hair style like this....

Haha, but seriously, I'd definitely avoid anything with strong fragrances. I know this is a rash generalization, but I think that guys sometimes have a tendency to overdo it with the cologne to the point where you think they bathed in it. Less is more!

TO make up for me jumping all over someone for the "interview while raining" question I will answer this one nicely.

No fragrances...the last thing you need is the interviewer HATING your cologne/being allergic to it or something.

As for your hair: American Crew wax products. :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more, especially regarding the American Crew statement.

Im a fan of the wax. Try some new stuff made my Gillette called sculpting paste. I love it. You can do anything you want and other people can't even tell there is something in your hair. Good luck!

way to go for paying attention to detail!

make sure you look like a professional- including hair, nails, nice smelling soap, matching socks, buffed shoes, dress belt, lucky undies, etc... i have seen lots of interviewees who look like plain **** because they didnt bother to cover the small things (and some major things).

if you look in the mirror and say, "damn!" then i think you probably are ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
way to go for paying attention to detail!

make sure you look like a professional- including hair, nails, nice smelling soap, matching socks, buffed shoes, dress belt, lucky undies, etc... i have seen lots of interviewees who look like plain **** because they didnt bother to cover the small things (and some major things).

if you look in the mirror and say, "damn!" then i think you probably are ok!

I am going to reitterate the shoe thing. Perhaps some do not share my view, but shoes are super important. If you can afford, by a nice pair of cap toe shoes. Please, if you can help it, no square toes in a suit.

I am going to reitterate the shoe thing. Perhaps some do not share my view, but shoes are super important. If you can afford, by a nice pair of cap toe shoes. Please, if you can help it, no square toes in a suit.

Shoes are very important. No square toes, you're an adult man now. Keep it sharp, yet simple. Some lace up oxfords should do the job.

Have your suit tailored, or buy a suit that fits you properly. Too many guys our age, or any guy really, wears a suit that is probably a size or two too big for him.

Just for an example.. you don't have to do the whole slim tie thing (I wouldn't suggest that for an interview, be more conservative) but just to get the idea, since they didn't give this kid an expensive high end suit. They put him in something that he could afford but fits right.

evan-ng-suit.jpg

and he looks much more professional, rather than an NBA player. Probably don't need to be that trim (he may be too trim IMHO across the button but that's what they're doing these days), but he looks like a slim guy so that burlap sack he was wearing before looked terrible on him and hides that fact that the guy is in shape. And never, ever ever ever button your bottom button. Please.

Last edited:
Shoes are very important. No square toes, you're an adult man now. Keep it sharp, yet simple. Some lace up oxfords should do the job.

Okay, I'm a girl, so this really isn't relevant, but what's with the distinction with square toes and rounded toes for mens shoes? I never noticed that till you pointed it out. Is one more formal than the other?

Have your suit tailored, or buy a suit that fits you properly. Too many guys our age, or any guy really, wears a suit that is probably a size or two too big for him.

Just for an example.. you don't have to do the whole slim tie thing (I wouldn't suggest that for an interview, be more conservative) but just to get the idea, since they didn't give this kid an expensive high end suit. They put him in something that he could afford but fits right.

evan-ng-suit.jpg

and he looks much more professional, rather than an NBA player. Probably don't need to be that trim (he may be too trim IMHO across the button but that's what they're doing these days), but he looks like a slim guy so that burlap sack he was wearing before looked terrible on him and hides that fact that the guy is in shape. And never, ever ever ever button your bottom button. Please.

if i recall correctly, i think that is from details mag - which brings me to another point - if your appearance is a concern, read a few details/gq to see whats looking good now

Okay, I'm a girl, so this really isn't relevant, but what's with the distinction with square toes and rounded toes for mens shoes? I never noticed that till you pointed it out. Is one more formal than the other?

Just way too casual. As to the above pictures, great example of what tailoring can do for you. As said though, it was brought in a bit much at the first button for my taste, the silhouette looks pinched there. The pants look too tight to sit in as well. I 2nd the bottom button rule, just don't do it.

Yeah, like Kevon said, too casual, and often square toes are on like sketchers and stuff.. more geared towards teens/kids. There are leather shoes called "bicycle shoes" that sometimes have a square toe, but again its a casual shoe.

Yeah, like Kevon said, too casual, and often square toes are on like sketchers and stuff.. more geared towards teens/kids. There are leather shoes called "bicycle shoes" that sometimes have a square toe, but again its a casual shoe.

Wow, I never knew this stuff about men's shoes. Women's shoes on the other hand...Just don't wear open-toed shoes or stilettos. Those are for the bedroom. :p

Wow, I never knew this stuff about men's shoes. Women's shoes on the other hand...Just don't wear open-toed shoes or stilettos. Those are for the bedroom. :p

Well, I have to slightly disagree. You can have some nice kick-ass stilettos that are classy. I think I will definitely be wearing a 3 to 4 inch heel on interview day (ugh, whenever it gets here..):)

But you know what I hate to see is when women wear stilettos that are too big for them. They just end up looking like a little girl in their mommy shoes.

Well, I have to slightly disagree. You can have some nice kick-ass stilettos that are classy. I think I will definitely be wearing a 3 to 4 inch heel on interview day (ugh, whenever it gets here..):)

But you know what I hate to see is when women wear stilettos that are too big for them. They just end up looking like a little girl in their mommy shoes.

Or too small. GET SHOES THAT FIT PEOPLE!!

Something else that drives me nuts is when women wear open toed shoes and stockings. It's like wearing sandals and socks.

This is worthless without pictures ;)

I think for men a pocket square can be a nice little touch. ive had many job interviews and all of them have complimented me on my suit. I blame it on the pocket square and tie. just make sure it works.

They make square toed dress shoes, it's not that they're too casual, it's that they're ugly. The foot is not shaped like a box at the end. Simple black oxfords.

I think for men a pocket square can be a nice little touch. ive had many job interviews and all of them have complimented me on my suit. I blame it on the pocket square and tie. just make sure it works.

If you can make sure it works, it would be great. However, it seems like medical school interviews is one of the few interviews where people don't go with the pocket square. Personally, I have almost always sported a square, for all interviews, except medical school. It is strange to me.

This is probably the funniest question I have seen on here!

I think as long as you dress conservative, in dark colors, and just make sure your hair is clean cut, there should be no problems.

I hate that a lot of the interview is very subjective and judgmental, but unfortunately that is the way it is, so you need to keep that in mind and try to think like the interviewers. Try to think how they would react to different things.

On one of my interviews, there was one guy who stood out to me - he had bleached his hair (nearly white - and no he was not albino) and it was a distraction.

Maybe bleached hair is cool where that guy came from, but it looked pretty stupid.

I highly doubt any interviewer would ever judge a person based on them wearing square toed dress shoes. I'll wear one to my interview @ Western next week to back up my statement :)

Or too small. GET SHOES THAT FIT PEOPLE!!

Something else that drives me nuts is when women wear open toed shoes and stockings. It's like wearing sandals and socks.

:thumbup:

I highly doubt any interviewer would ever judge a person based on them wearing square toed dress shoes. I'll wear one to my interview @ Western next week to back up my statement :)

Me too! Who the heck cares what kind of shoes we wear as long as they are clean and polished.

I wore square toed shoes and *gasp* LECOM-B accepted me. Phew. :smuggrin:

What do you guys think about longer hair on guys at interviews?
My hair isn't real long - I just cut off 2 in. so now its just onto my collar.

Haha, I like how the first poster was being a jerk and then some people start feeling sorry for me and the thread takes off. Just joking, but eh.

So what are pocket squares?

how to look professional:

a suit that fits right; never ever button the bottom button (in a 3 button suit, it is still debated whether one should only button the middle button or the top two)

do not wear square "skechers" style shoes that looks like you have Noah's Ark on your foot

a good full windsor and PLEASE learn to dimple your tie. *cringe* at undimpled ties (I will re-tie my tie 10 times if I have to; the dimple is so worth it)

IMO pocket square = not for med school interview

Keep the hair/facial hair neat; use mousse or wax if you must or a bit of gel; stay away from the "my hair has so much hair gel in it you don't know if I just jumped out of the shower"

NO cologne or perfume. you never know how small your interview room may be and how sensitive your interviewer might be to the slightest irritants. just be CLEAN

how to look professional:

a suit that fits right; never ever button the bottom button (in a 3 button suit, it is still debated whether one should only button the middle button or the top two)

do not wear square "skechers" style shoes that looks like you have Noah's Ark on your foot

a good full windsor and PLEASE learn to dimple your tie. *cringe* at undimpled ties (I will re-tie my tie 10 times if I have to; the dimple is so worth it)

IMO pocket square = not for med school interview

Keep the hair/facial hair neat; use mousse or wax if you must or a bit of gel; stay away from the "my hair has so much hair gel in it you don't know if I just jumped out of the shower"

NO cologne or perfume. you never know how small your interview room may be and how sensitive your interviewer might be to the slightest irritants. just be CLEAN

I disagree with the knot. Not that a full windsor is bad, just that it depends on the collar and the frame of the person. I am a bulky guy, so a full looks good on me. It is different for others. I think it was mentioned above, but make sure you keep it tight at all stages of tying, it looks much better. Maybe it is technique, but a full windsor should naturally dimple. Others are a little trickier, but I agree. The dimple makes the tie.

I rock a polished stainless tie clip as well, others may disagree, but it comes in handy for lunch and I love the look.

Maybe I should just do a picture later of my interview attire, at least when I decide not to rock the pirate outfit.

I disagree with the knot. Not that a full windsor is bad, just that it depends on the collar and the frame of the person. I am a bulky guy, so a full looks good on me. It is different for others. I think it was mentioned above, but make sure you keep it tight at all stages of tying, it looks much better. Maybe it is technique, but a full windsor should naturally dimple. Others are a little trickier, but I agree. The dimple makes the tie.

I rock a polished stainless tie clip as well, others may disagree, but it comes in handy for lunch and I love the look.

Maybe I should just do a picture later of my interview attire, at least when I decide not to rock the pirate outfit.

:thumbup:

I wear square toes all the time with suits but they are dress square toes and not sketchers. We're talking 110 dollar shoes. Also, half windsor, and yes, leave the bottom button alone. Please make sure your tie is the correct length - it pisses me off to see guys walking around with ties past their crotch.

Agreed on the Half-Windsor. Also agree with an above poster that the tie should dimple on its own... mine always do. Every professor/physician I have interacted with have NOT worn a square toe shoot. Regardless of price it appears that square toes aren't "sophisticated" enough for the interview. I got a pair of captoes on sale for $50 from $120; such a good deal!

I wear square toes all the time with suits but they are dress square toes and not sketchers. We're talking 110 dollar shoes. Also, half windsor, and yes, leave the bottom button alone. Please make sure your tie is the correct length - it pisses me off to see guys walking around with ties past their crotch.

Or at the xiphoid.

What about no hair on the head and a small beard(religious) but it is kept trimmed, perfectly trimmed.

That's fine, imo. Not that interviewers should be worried about it. I'm not being a jerk here, but with the amount of diversity I've faced I think I would be able to figure out what was going on (based on your username).

Overall, keep it trimmed, like you say you do, and you shouldn't have problems.