Sub-3.0 BCP GPA // Above-3.0 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aquadent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying with a 2.96 BCP GPA and 3.05 sGPA. Low GPA is due to screwing around the first few years of undergrad and failing ochem (didn't decide on dentistry until late). Several of the schools I applied to have a 3.0 cutoff for sGPA, but I already received a soft rejection from Midwestern-AZ on the basis of my BCP GPA, even though they explicitly stated online and in their email that their cutoff is for sGPA. I'm about to start a post-bacc and they told me to update them with my Fall semester grades.

Because of the in-progress post-bacc, my application is basically on hold for many schools, but I was wondering if I had any shot this cycle with my current BCP/sGPA where they are. Cumulative GPA is 3.20. I was a Day 1 applicant, have tons of dental shadowing/volunteering/experience, have 4 stellar LORs, and scored a 20AA / 21TS / 23 PAT (22 Bio / 21 GC / 21 OC / 21 CR / 17 QR). I know my GPA is trash but my upward trend is very strong and I know I can get As across the board in post-bacc. I'm not aiming for high tier schools but it just sucks knowing that I could be wasting thousands of dollars and an entire year by being .04 grade points off of the cutoff.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I got an interview with worse stats so yeah I'd say you have a chance. It just depends on which schools you apply to and how much they value certain aspects of the application

GPA: Your GPA is far below competitive. However, your DAT adds credibility to your ability to handle the academic rigors of dental school, providing you a better (but still slim) chance for an interview. Your GPA is a red flag.

DAT: Your DAT is competitive for some dental schools. No points of concern here assuming you applied to the right schools (which most people do not because of their lack of understanding of "fit" and school-specific admissions criteria that isn't public).

School Selection: Fit matters a lot with dental schools. Each school has their own criteria, and if you reply back with what school's you've applied to, I'd be happy to provide you with more accurate feedback.

The application process is holistic: Every part of your application NEEDS to be strong, including your activities, your personal statement, and your supplemental statements. Those are the areas that allow you to stand out from your competition and are vital to use in your case.

Interviews: Given that you already applied, start working on your interview skills, answer framing, stories, and depending on your interview experience, using interview services to prepare to ensure you win over your interviewers if you happen to get any interviews.

The worst, and most popular advice among pre-dentals is "just be yourself" during your interviews. While it's certainly good to be yourself in the sense of remaining calm, cool, collective, enthusiastic, and passionate, a lot of pre-dentals interpret the advice as "no need to prepare," which leads to disastrous outcomes. Imagine "just being yourself" going into a Biochemistry final exam instead of investing the time and energy studying for success.

All in all, you seem to understand the position you're in. It was definitely smart of you to enroll in a post-bacc program because that will definitely help you next cycle, if you don't end up getting accepted this cycle.

Good luck and let us know if we can provide you with any further help!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I got an interview with worse stats so yeah I'd say you have a chance. It just depends on which schools you apply to and how much they value certain aspects of the application

Do you mind sharing your stats and what school you received an interview for?

GPA: Your GPA is far below competitive. However, your DAT adds credibility to your ability to handle the academic rigors of dental school, providing you a better (but still slim) chance for an interview. Your GPA is a red flag.

DAT: Your DAT is competitive for some dental schools. No points of concern here assuming you applied to the right schools (which most people do not because of their lack of understanding of "fit" and school-specific admissions criteria that isn't public).

School Selection: Fit matters a lot with dental schools. Each school has their own criteria, and if you reply back with what school's you've applied to, I'd be happy to provide you with more accurate feedback.

The application process is holistic: Every part of your application NEEDS to be strong, including your activities, your personal statement, and your supplemental statements. Those are the areas that allow you to stand out from your competition and are vital to use in your case.

Interviews: Given that you already applied, start working on your interview skills, answer framing, stories, and depending on your interview experience, using interview services to prepare to ensure you win over your interviewers if you happen to get any interviews.

The worst, and most popular advice among pre-dentals is "just be yourself" during your interviews. While it's certainly good to be yourself in the sense of remaining calm, cool, collective, enthusiastic, and passionate, a lot of pre-dentals interpret the advice as "no need to prepare," which leads to disastrous outcomes. Imagine "just being yourself" going into a Biochemistry final exam instead of investing the time and energy studying for success.

All in all, you seem to understand the position you're in. It was definitely smart of you to enroll in a post-bacc program because that will definitely help you next cycle, if you don't end up getting accepted this cycle.

Good luck and let us know if we can provide you with any further help!

Thanks for your response. I applied to UCSF, UOP, USC, and WesternU (I'm a CA resident so I did apply to some of the California schools even if they're unrealistic). I also applied to OHSU, A.T. Still, Midwestern-AZ, UNLV, Roseman, Case Western, Roseman, BU, NYU, Touro, Tufts, Temple, Marquette, Nova, LECOM, UNE, and Colorado.

Thanks for your response. I applied to UCSF, UOP, USC, and WesternU (I'm a CA resident so I did apply to some of the California schools even if they're unrealistic). I also applied to OHSU, A.T. Still, Midwestern-AZ, UNLV, Roseman, Case Western, Roseman, BU, NYU, Touro, Tufts, Temple, Marquette, Nova, LECOM, UNE, and Colorado.
unfortunately, you are not competitive at the public schools
fortunately, you applied to a lot of privates, where you may still have a chance
likely, you are in for along wait for invites, but you can still get some...

I have similar stats to you and applied to most of the schools you've applied to.
Midwestern AZ and Roseman put me on hold as well (but didn't tell my why). Did you email midwestern asking why they put you on hold?
Also, I received an interview invite from Touro so with out stats, so at least we have some hope. haha x)
Hang in there and just be patient. :)

I have similar stats to you and applied to most of the schools you've applied to.
Midwestern AZ and Roseman put me on hold as well (but didn't tell my why). Did you email midwestern asking why they put you on hold?
Also, I received an interview invite from Touro so with out stats, so at least we have some hope. haha x)
Hang in there and just be patient. :)

I didn't even pay a secondary for Midwestern because they notified me via email that my stats disqualified me from being eligible. I then asked if I could still be considered once I completed my first semester of post-bacc and sent my grades in and they said yes. How do you know that you're on hold for Roseman? I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

unfortunately, you are not competitive at the public schools
fortunately, you applied to a lot of privates, where you may still have a chance
likely, you are in for along wait for invites, but you can still get some...
Thanks. I'm going into this fully prepared to reapply next cycle, but I figure if I get any interviews at all, it'll be at the tail end of the cycle and I'll have a better idea of where I stand and how far off I am. If I get no feedback whatsoever, then I'll know I have some serious deficit that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't even pay a secondary for Midwestern because they notified me via email that my stats disqualified me from being eligible. I then asked if I could still be considered once I completed my first semester of post-bacc and sent my grades in and they said yes. How do you know that you're on hold for Roseman? I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Oh really? Well at least they didn't waste your money and now they're giving you a chance. :)

I submitted my supplemental for roseman on 7/12 and received an email about my hold on 7/23.

Thanks. I'm going into this fully prepared to reapply next cycle, but I figure if I get any interviews at all, it'll be at the tail end of the cycle and I'll have a better idea of where I stand and how far off I am. If I get no feedback whatsoever, then I'll know I have some serious deficit that needs to be addressed.

after the cycle is over, you can contact the schools for feedback
but I hope you get in this cycle :)

You did a good job with your school selection list (especially the mid-to-later part of the list). The CA schools are definitely "reach" schools and you seem to understand that. Regarding the CA schools, you have the highest chances at Western. Chances at Colorado and OHSU are very slim. The other schools look good! You've rolled the dice, and now it's time to wait!

If we can be of any help in reviewing your application or providing you with interview advice, don't hesitate to reach out!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying with a 2.96 BCP GPA and 3.05 sGPA. Low GPA is due to screwing around the first few years of undergrad and failing ochem (didn't decide on dentistry until late). Several of the schools I applied to have a 3.0 cutoff for sGPA, but I already received a soft rejection from Midwestern-AZ on the basis of my BCP GPA, even though they explicitly stated online and in their email that their cutoff is for sGPA. I'm about to start a post-bacc and they told me to update them with my Fall semester grades.

Because of the in-progress post-bacc, my application is basically on hold for many schools, but I was wondering if I had any shot this cycle with my current BCP/sGPA where they are. Cumulative GPA is 3.20. I was a Day 1 applicant, have tons of dental shadowing/volunteering/experience, have 4 stellar LORs, and scored a 20AA / 21TS / 23 PAT (22 Bio / 21 GC / 21 OC / 21 CR / 17 QR). I know my GPA is trash but my upward trend is very strong and I know I can get As across the board in post-bacc. I'm not aiming for high tier schools but it just sucks knowing that I could be wasting thousands of dollars and an entire year by being .04 grade points off of the cutoff.

To be honest with you, you have some shot for post-december interview if you show that you did well on the first semester of your post bac. Try to get perfect GPA on the post bac, that'd really help out.

In terms of what you can do better: You should definitely try to retake the DAT and get close to 23 or 24 to offset the GPA; do this if you have the time and energy this cycle. Getting a 23 or higher is tough but can help you in the application process.